The Student Room Group

Funding 2nd degree part-time eligibility

Dear SFE Team,

Hope all is well.

I just want to ask if the Sheffield Hallam part-time Electrical and Electronic Engineering course is eligible for funding as a 2nd degree. I have an integrated master's degree in computer science but want to study electrical engineering part time to top up my skills at work, so want to check if I will be eligible for the tuition fee and maintenance for attending the course. The part-time course at Hallam has no UCAS code mentioned on the website so this makes it harder to check but here is a link to it : https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/engineering/beng-honours-electrical-and-electronic-engineering/part-time

Also, will I be eligible for the course even if it is an exemption course as I already have an integrated master's degree? I cannot find the right information if only people who hold a BSc can apply for the exemption courses or are people with integrated master's degree eligible too?

Thank you in advance for your help and have a great week ahead.

Kind regards,
Emona
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi Emona,

I have reviewed your course on our database and there is a Part time option for this course in the 2024/25 academic year and this course is classed as an exception course. This means you can apply for the Tuition Fee Loan and the Maintenance Loan. We will not take your previous study or qualifications into consideration when processing your application.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Emona,
I have reviewed your course on our database and there is a Part time option for this course in the 2024/25 academic year and this course is classed as an exception course. This means you can apply for the Tuition Fee Loan and the Maintenance Loan. We will not take your previous study or qualifications into consideration when processing your application.
Thanks, Drew
Hi Drew,

Thank you so much for the speedy response and for the great news - I really appreciate both!

Could you please let me know what is the UCAS code for the part time course, as it is not showing up as an option on my end when I type the name of the course - only the full time option shows up? If you cannot share such details, I understand and will submit a paper application I guess - just double checking in advance as it is easier to keep all correspondence online.

Thank you again for your help and have a great day :smile:.

Kind regards,
Emona
Hi Emona,

Unfortunately I cannot find the UCAS code for this course

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 4
Hi Calum,

Thank you for your response. I managed to find the course on the SFE website. Now I have one more question if you don't mind helping me find the answer to - am I eligible to apply for the course funding since it is exemption course as I hold an integrated masters degree? I know the people who have BSc can apply as the course is an exemption one, but what about people who hold an MSci? This is an undergraduate Integrated masters degree.

Thank you in advance for your help and have a great day.

Kind regards,
Emona
Original post by Emona
Hi Calum,
Thank you for your response. I managed to find the course on the SFE website. Now I have one more question if you don't mind helping me find the answer to - am I eligible to apply for the course funding since it is exemption course as I hold an integrated masters degree? I know the people who have BSc can apply as the course is an exemption one, but what about people who hold an MSci? This is an undergraduate Integrated masters degree.
Thank you in advance for your help and have a great day.
Kind regards,
Emona
Hi Emona,

As Drew advised previously it is considered an exception course so you would qualify for the support at Part Time.

Thanks, Ross
Reply 6
Hi Ross,

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it.

I followed yours and Drew's advised and started an online application for the course funding on the SFE website for the 2023-2024 academic year (2024-2025 is not open for part-time courses just yet), just to check what funding is available. That said, when I put down Integrated Master's degree in the previous studies section the next page that opened up said something of the lines of "We cannot provide finding for you". Then I returned to the previous section and put Bachelor's with Honours as my previous study and the rest of the application opened up as normal with the tuition fees and maintenance loan parts with their values for the part time training. Does this mean that the online form has a mistake in it? If so who should I contact about it? Or should I put down Bachelor's with honours even though technically I studied an Integrated master's degree?

Thank you in advance for your help and have a great day ahead.

Kind regards,
Emona
Original post by Emona
Hi Ross,
Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it.
I followed yours and Drew's advised and started an online application for the course funding on the SFE website for the 2023-2024 academic year (2024-2025 is not open for part-time courses just yet), just to check what funding is available. That said, when I put down Integrated Master's degree in the previous studies section the next page that opened up said something of the lines of "We cannot provide finding for you". Then I returned to the previous section and put Bachelor's with Honours as my previous study and the rest of the application opened up as normal with the tuition fees and maintenance loan parts with their values for the part time training. Does this mean that the online form has a mistake in it? If so who should I contact about it? Or should I put down Bachelor's with honours even though technically I studied an Integrated master's degree?
Thank you in advance for your help and have a great day ahead.
Kind regards,
Emona
Hi Emona,

When do you start the course? If it's after September 2024 you wouldn't apply yet for the funding. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Emona,
When do you start the course? If it's after September 2024 you wouldn't apply yet for the funding. Thanks, Jason
Hi Jason,

I will start the course in September 2024. I was just checking how to apply for it and what is available so I can make plans for my working hours etc.

Many thanks,
Emona
Original post by Emona
Hi Jason,
I will start the course in September 2024. I was just checking how to apply for it and what is available so I can make plans for my working hours etc.
Many thanks,
Emona
Thank you. The applications will be live later in the spring. You can then apply to be assessed for the fees and maintenance loan. Thanks, Jason
Reply 10
Original post by SFE Jason
Thank you. The applications will be live later in the spring. You can then apply to be assessed for the fees and maintenance loan. Thanks, Jason
OK, I will apply in May when the applications open and see if this issue will arise then or not. Hope all will be well.

Many thanks,
Emona
Original post by Emona
OK, I will apply in May when the applications open and see if this issue will arise then or not. Hope all will be well.
Many thanks,
Emona
You're welcome. Any help you need when applications go live then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending