The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Am I screwed?

Hello,

I’m unsure if I would qualify for a position in the chemistry Bsc program at St. Andrews if I were to apply this year.

I’m in year 13, about to sit my A-levels in biology, chemistry and physics. I decided to not choose A-level maths or further maths in year 12, this is one of my biggest regrets and the reason I didn’t apply for university in 2022 - when I realised to wanted to study chemistry and that wouldn’t be possible without A-level maths.

My plan since then has been to take a gap year to study A-levels maths and A-levels further maths, and apply this year in 2023 (I will also be working + other productive things during this time period). I’ve heard that top universities are reluctant to accept students who’ve taken 3 years to sit their A-levels.

If I were to get, for example, grades A*BB (chemistry, physics and biology respectively) this year and then be predicted A*A* in A-level maths and further maths. Would I stand any chance of being admitted into the chemistry Bsc program at St. Andrews? (I believe I’m under the minimum entry requirements bracket)

Thank you very much,
If your under the entry requIrements you are unlikely to get an offer of St Andrews but there would be loads of other places you will get offers.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Hi :smile:

Hope I can help here. I am in a slightly similar position this year, I am currently in a gap year and studying A-level Biology as I didn't choose it in year 12 and regretted that decision. And I managed to get an offer from St Andrews for Psychology this year (applied in my gap year). So I can definitely confirm that St Andrews doesn't mind A-levels being taken over 3 years. In fact, you can use it in your personal statement to show that you can do independent study and keep a disciplined timetable!!

However this is a slightly different situation to you - Biology wasn't a required subject for Psychology. For the best answer to your query I would email the admissions team and see if they would let you in after studying Maths for only a year (remember that they'll be really busy atm though).

Another big thing to remember is that you will need a predicted grade for Maths and Further Maths, given by an outside source (see if a tutor/ your current sixth form/college will be able to help here) by the January UCAS deadline (earlier if you also apply to oxbridge).

Good luck in your exams!
Reply 3
Original post by liseyb3
Hi :smile:

Hope I can help here. I am in a slightly similar position this year, I am currently in a gap year and studying A-level Biology as I didn't choose it in year 12 and regretted that decision. And I managed to get an offer from St Andrews for Psychology this year (applied in my gap year). So I can definitely confirm that St Andrews doesn't mind A-levels being taken over 3 years. In fact, you can use it in your personal statement to show that you can do independent study and keep a disciplined timetable!!

However this is a slightly different situation to you - Biology wasn't a required subject for Psychology. For the best answer to your query I would email the admissions team and see if they would let you in after studying Maths for only a year (remember that they'll be really busy atm though).

Another big thing to remember is that you will need a predicted grade for Maths and Further Maths, given by an outside source (see if a tutor/ your current sixth form/college will be able to help here) by the January UCAS deadline (earlier if you also apply to oxbridge).

Good luck in your exams!

wow this was really helpful, thank you so much. and also congrats!
Reply 4
Original post by bigstrong
Hello,

I’m unsure if I would qualify for a position in the chemistry Bsc program at St. Andrews if I were to apply this year.

I’m in year 13, about to sit my A-levels in biology, chemistry and physics. I decided to not choose A-level maths or further maths in year 12, this is one of my biggest regrets and the reason I didn’t apply for university in 2022 - when I realised to wanted to study chemistry and that wouldn’t be possible without A-level maths.

My plan since then has been to take a gap year to study A-levels maths and A-levels further maths, and apply this year in 2023 (I will also be working + other productive things during this time period). I’ve heard that top universities are reluctant to accept students who’ve taken 3 years to sit their A-levels.

If I were to get, for example, grades A*BB (chemistry, physics and biology respectively) this year and then be predicted A*A* in A-level maths and further maths. Would I stand any chance of being admitted into the chemistry Bsc program at St. Andrews? (I believe I’m under the minimum entry requirements bracket)

Thank you very much,

You don't need to have maths a level to study chemistry at St Andrews. Is it needed for other unis you are looking at? You do need to meet/exceed the entry requirements. There may well be quite a few students who qualify for the minimum entry requirements and whose achieved or predicted grades exceed the min requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending