The Student Room Group

Degree crisis

I am 23 and i am half way through my 6 year degree. I was rejected from my dream school so i went to study what i put second. I quickl realised it wasn't for me and i absolutely started hating it. My parents never let me transfer or change it so i am stuck in it already 3 going onto 4 years. My parents gave in (partially) to my begging to change it, so they said i can go and study what i want afterwards. I really feel that this combination of degrees isn't sought after and i feel that i will screw my life up.
Thanks for reading and i would greatly appreciate opinions/advices etc.
Original post by Anonymous
I am 23 and i am half way through my 6 year degree. I was rejected from my dream school so i went to study what i put second. I quickl realised it wasn't for me and i absolutely started hating it. My parents never let me transfer or change it so i am stuck in it already 3 going onto 4 years. My parents gave in (partially) to my begging to change it, so they said i can go and study what i want afterwards. I really feel that this combination of degrees isn't sought after and i feel that i will screw my life up.

What degree are you studying? What it is that you've now decided you'd rather be studying (which your parents have said you "can go and study what i want afterwards")?

Do you think the fact that you were "rejected from my dream school" has impacted your view of this degree generally?

You say yiu "quickl realised it wasn't for me". Why was that?
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that this is a situation you are in. What courses have you studied and what courses are you thinking of studying instead?

Your combination of degrees would have given you so many transferable skills and also allowed you to help find yourself too. By realising that the course wasn't for you, you have discovered a huge part of yourself which is something very important and a big step in life. It's crucial to see the positive here.

Also, as I have mentioned, your combination degrees would of given you so many skills both in work and in life too, these skills can be transferable and can be used in whatever you decide to do next and have given you experience that again can be interpreted into other situations too.

And remember it's never too late to change course and is actually a common thing that happens, you're not alone.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Katie (Film Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,

I'm sorry that you have had to go through this!

Let try to look at the best way forward.

Just a couple questions, so we can advise you accordingly: What were you studying? What would you like to study?

Ultimately, I know multiple people who have one degree (in one course), and gain another (in a different course), or are in similar positions where they got half way through the course, and realised it wasn't for them and transfer to something else.
I actually think, thought this is not common, this will not only give you a conversation starter within interviews but also means that you gain skills and knowledge from multiple fields.

So as much as you think this might "screw up your life". I can view this as a positive.

I hope this help.

Best of luck with everything!
Kaprice R
Student Rep [Bsc (Hons) Forensic Science - Final Year]
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
What degree are you studying? What it is that you've now decided you'd rather be studying (which your parents have said you "can go and study what i want afterwards")?

Do you think the fact that you were "rejected from my dream school" has impacted your view of this degree generally?

You say yiu "quickl realised it wasn't for me". Why was that?

Firstly I would like to say thank you for your time and help.
Both degrees are in the medical field. The one i wanted and the one i got rejected from. I noticed that i much more prefer law and economics over biological sciences.
I would say that rejection amde an impact on me but still the feelings that i am having now are unrelated to the rejection.
Well i enjoyed it but i still do to some exent but i can't see myself working in it.
Reply 5
Original post by WolvesRep1
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that this is a situation you are in. What courses have you studied and what courses are you thinking of studying instead?

Your combination of degrees would have given you so many transferable skills and also allowed you to help find yourself too. By realising that the course wasn't for you, you have discovered a huge part of yourself which is something very important and a big step in life. It's crucial to see the positive here.

Also, as I have mentioned, your combination degrees would of given you so many skills both in work and in life too, these skills can be transferable and can be used in whatever you decide to do next and have given you experience that again can be interpreted into other situations too.

And remember it's never too late to change course and is actually a common thing that happens, you're not alone.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Katie (Film Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton

Thank you for your reply and help. I really appreciate what you wrote and it gave me a bit of a boost since back in my mind i hoped for the same postives. Well, the two fields are quite different but they are able to relate.
Reply 6
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi,

I'm sorry that you have had to go through this!

Let try to look at the best way forward.

Just a couple questions, so we can advise you accordingly: What were you studying? What would you like to study?

Ultimately, I know multiple people who have one degree (in one course), and gain another (in a different course), or are in similar positions where they got half way through the course, and realised it wasn't for them and transfer to something else.
I actually think, thought this is not common, this will not only give you a conversation starter within interviews but also means that you gain skills and knowledge from multiple fields.

So as much as you think this might "screw up your life". I can view this as a positive.

I hope this help.

Best of luck with everything!
Kaprice R
Student Rep [Bsc (Hons) Forensic Science - Final Year]

Thank you for the help and advice.
I agree with you but the only thing i am worried about is it, if it will be viewed as negative or too specific.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending