The Student Room Group

Weekly Wins and Woes

Hello Students.
I am an interdimentional being who was under the false impression that time on Earth would introduce me to a new perspective of life and existence. In the 17 years that I have been here I have gained weight, depression and maladaptive daydreaming tendancies.You can call me PQ.

Now, I have chosen to share all these things with you. I would like to start a blog but that's a lot of work. So I've chosen to start building my following here. At least once a week I shall share some inspiring story, epiphany or wierd meme I discover through my own research and/or your demand.

I shall also share stories about myself and, as the title suggests, my weekly wins and woes.

Ask me any (appropriate) questions and I will do my best to answer them.That's all I can think of to tell you right now.

Peace unto you!
Reply 1
Today's wins and woes

Today started with a woe: my first post.

Weekly wins and woes is the first time I have ever put myself 'out there', and as it is with every first time, I was terrified.

Everyone wants to be liked. The advances in social media have made it so that our very selves depend on who liked our post. I am definitely no different. I've seen posts on this platform with thousands of responses and threads and whatnots and it inspired as well as terrified me. Who is this author that has earned such a following? And who am I to try to be like them? What do I know about anything to share with the world? These were the thoughts that flooded me.

Even before social media, individuals depended on the approval of their societies for as much as survival. Ostrization meant death in the stone ages. No one could survive on their own in the wild. And as the world developed, ostricization still meant death. Either socially, mentally, emotionally, you name it! The desire to be accepted is deeply rooted within all of us. And it is a double edged sword: on the one hand, the set standards of our society help us identify the rougues, delinquints, and criminals so we may deal with them accordingly, for better or worse. On the other hand, allowing others' opinions to negatively affect who we are as individuals - our behaviours, thoughts and beliefs - to the point where we act completely in accordance with societies standards once we leave our homes, and completely neglect our truer selves, isn't the best position to be in.

No one wants to be lost in the crowd. Everyone wants to stand out. But not everyone will take that risk for fear of being judged and criticized. It's scary. I wanted to delete my previous post because I was afraid of being judged for it being too silly. And I still am afraid to be honest (which is why I'm anonymous). I even considered letting go of this whole blogging endeavor. But I do want to start my own blog. I want to have a voice in teen mental health and all other matters that interest me so I can do what we're all trying to at the end of the day: find my people and my voice.

And this is where today's win comes in. There is a channel on YouTube that I absolutely love called Aperture (anyone know it?) and while I was contemplating these first steps in finding my voice I watched one of its videos titled 'The Courage to be disliked' (here's a link to it: https://youtu.be/tFBwce7yi1k ) and it inspired me to come here and make today's post. And I may not get a lot of readers or comments or whatever but that's ok. I'm going to try to make a post here everyday! (Ignore that this 'blog' is called 'Weekly' wins and woes, I just wanted some alliteration for my title. If you can think up a better one please let me know.) If you want to help me keep this up, feel free to let me know what you'd be interested in discussing regarding teen mental health. I'm trying to build my confidence here and I'm teaching myself that every step and stumble is an oppurtunity for improvement. Maybe in time I'll stop being anonymous. Until then... Peace unto you! (also, please help me think up a better end line, I realise this one is kinda lame:tongue:)
Reply 2
BTW, I'm still learning how to use this platform so please share any advice with me on its use
@EnigmaChess ; @QueenRose ; @Mashle ; @A_J ; @Sorcerer of Old ; @illegallylexi ; @Bookworm524

Here are my first Weekly wins and woes posts.
Wow! I can't believe I made them just a week ago!
Funny how fast times can change
Reply 4
Original post by PiltoverQueen
@EnigmaChess ; @QueenRose ; @Mashle ; @A_J ; @Sorcerer of Old ; @illegallylexi ; @Bookworm524

Here are my first Weekly wins and woes posts.
Wow! I can't believe I made them just a week ago!
Funny how fast times can change

This is great, I was laughing throughout :biggrin:. Especially for the first one. Tho yeah you need a better end line XD
I don't use social media so idk how that world is but it applies irl still! It's a great first post!
O could you @ all of us in each of your WW&W's posts, we don't get notifications for it otherwise, other than the my feed but often times I miss that. Thx
Original post by Mashle
This is great, I was laughing throughout :biggrin:. Especially for the first one. Tho yeah you need a better end line XD
I don't use social media so idk how that world is but it applies irl still! It's a great first post!
O could you @ all of us in each of your WW&W's posts, we don't get notifications for it otherwise, other than the my feed but often times I miss that. Thx

Yes. I fully intend to @ you guys for each post unless I am asked not to.
If you could help me come up with a catchier end line that would be great!
I'm glad you liked my first posts. I was very self concius about them for days until I decided to just throw caution to the wind and post publicly.
Reply 6
Thanks! Oh and I've got a topic idea for next weeks WW&W's if you don't mind me offering up another one. I'll private message it to you, since its really personal
Original post by PiltoverQueen
Yes. I fully intend to @ you guys for each post unless I am asked not to.
If you could help me come up with a catchier end line that would be great!
I'm glad you liked my first posts. I was very self concius about them for days until I decided to just throw caution to the wind and post publicly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending