The Student Room Group

MSc in Cybersecurity: Lancaster or Royal Holloway ?

Hello everyone, I am a final year CS undergrad at the National Institute of Technology Delhi, I have offers for MSc in Cybersecurity from Lancaster, Royal Holloway, Kent, Swansea and Surrey as of now, a few that are left to reply are Sheffield, Exeter, York, Loughborough.

My goal is to find a job after my course and with that in mind,which unis would you pick, the obvious picks for me are either Lancaster or Royal Holloway. Out of these two which would you pick.
Original post by jeremyjoseph17
Hello everyone, I am a final year CS undergrad at the National Institute of Technology Delhi, I have offers for MSc in Cybersecurity from Lancaster, Royal Holloway, Kent, Swansea and Surrey as of now, a few that are left to reply are Sheffield, Exeter, York, Loughborough.

My goal is to find a job after my course and with that in mind,which unis would you pick, the obvious picks for me are either Lancaster or Royal Holloway. Out of these two which would you pick.

Hi @jeremyjoseph17,

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

I know you may have done, but have you reviewed all the information on the course pages at all and compared each one to see if anything stands out to you? Here is Loughborough's Cyber Security and Data Analytics MSc programme.

Also, in relation to Loughborough, it may be worth taking a look at more information around our London campus.

In terms of careers, I also wanted to link you to more details about Loughborough University London's Future Space for more information about how we support students.

If you have any other specific questions, you can always email [email protected].

I hope this helps :smile: if you have any other queries that I can help with, please let me know.

- Lindsay
(edited 10 months ago)
Hi !

Just thought I'd help answer some of your questions .I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student at Lancaster University .First of all congratulations on getting all your offers .Lancaster Uni really is a beautiful place and one of the main reasons why I chose the uni was because of the campus .I am an international student myself ,so I never really got the chance to come in person to roam the campus ,however I did join quite a few offer holder events that showcased how the campus was and I absolutely loved it .Since its a campus uni and not a city university ,it gives a more fulfilling student experience as it caters towards the student community .We have a range of clubs and societies that is really diversed and since we're a college based university , we have loads of different events and socials that really helps settling in so much easier .I do understand that the focus is to get a job after you have completed your course ,and rest assured there are tons of services available for students to use such as signing up for the Career Service where you can ask for career advise ,cv checks as well as mock interviews. There are quite a few job recruiters that get in touch with our career service ,signing up for their newsletter really heightens the chances of you finding the right job/career for you . Hopefully this helps!

Thanks !

Yamini
FST Student Ambassador Lancaster Uni
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply, I just wanted to know how many international students take the on-campus accommodation, in comparison to the off-campus ones and since my course is just for a year, I was wondering if taking an off-campus accommodation would suit me.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi !

Just thought I'd help answer some of your questions .I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student at Lancaster University .First of all congratulations on getting all your offers .Lancaster Uni really is a beautiful place and one of the main reasons why I chose the uni was because of the campus .I am an international student myself ,so I never really got the chance to come in person to roam the campus ,however I did join quite a few offer holder events that showcased how the campus was and I absolutely loved it .Since its a campus uni and not a city university ,it gives a more fulfilling student experience as it caters towards the student community .We have a range of clubs and societies that is really diversed and since we're a college based university , we have loads of different events and socials that really helps settling in so much easier .I do understand that the focus is to get a job after you have completed your course ,and rest assured there are tons of services available for students to use such as signing up for the Career Service where you can ask for career advise ,cv checks as well as mock interviews. There are quite a few job recruiters that get in touch with our career service ,signing up for their newsletter really heightens the chances of you finding the right job/career for you . Hopefully this helps!

Thanks !

Yamini
FST Student Ambassador Lancaster Uni
Thank you for your reply, I just wanted to know how many international students take the on-campus accommodation, in comparison to the off-campus ones and since my course is just for a year, I was wondering if taking an off-campus accommodation would suit me.

Hey! Thank you for your interest in Lancaster! I'm a final-year undergraduate Computer Science student and while I don't know a whole lot about postgrad, I can tell you that there is tons of support offered in the Computing department, whether that's through labs and workshops, lecturers, related societies and organisations etc. One organisation that comes to mind is the Cyber Foundry which offers extra workshops and often some internship/work opportunities in the Lancashire/Greater Manchester area.

To answer the question I've quoted, there are lots of off-campus accommodations for international students. Non-university-owned student accommodation such as Caton Court is very popular as rooms are easier to attain than, for example, a student-rented house if you don't know any other students. I'm not sure about the exact numbers for international students when it comes to on-campus vs. off-campus, especially for postgrad but each has its own pros and cons. If it helps, you might want to email the Accommodation team at [email protected].

All the best!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
Reply 5

Hi

I am just intrigued to know why you think Lancaster or Royal Holloway will give you better employability prospects than Kent, Swansea or Surrey?
Reply 6
Actually I’m not sure if Lancaster/Royal Holloway have better employability prospects, but Lancaster seems to be well ranked in general and for Cybersecurity as well. Royal Holloway is well ranked for Cybersecurity but not so well in general.

What do you think?

Original post by cm620
Hi

I am just intrigued to know why you think Lancaster or Royal Holloway will give you better employability prospects than Kent, Swansea or Surrey?
Original post by cm620
Hi

do you disagree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending