The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Which of these Unis!!

Lancaster v Keele v Royal Holloway: Which one would you recommend?
I like a campus uni, and am quite introverted, so don't necessarily want a massive bustling place. They all seem about even, and I am struggling to choose - Help!
Original post by Anonymous
I like a campus uni, and am quite introverted, so don't necessarily want a massive bustling place. They all seem about even, and I am struggling to choose - Help!

Royal Holloway has a friendly campus with close knit communities sharing a kitchen to about 8-10 people. It is a prestigious and known university.

I cannot comment much on the other two and I don’t know much about them. However I would recommend going to open days and chatting to students who study there to get a feel for the different universities. Quite often we get advised for good ones that may suit us, actually go there and realise it’s awful.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

My daughter goes to Lancaster. its a small city which is perfect for what she needed, coming from a small village. Still has all she needs, sainsburys, aldi, tescos express, greggs, primark, select, jd sports, lots of bars and 3 clubs. The campus is about 20 mins from the city so first years usually stay on campus, but live in city 2nd year and beyond, although you can apply to go back on campus. It feels safe, the campus is well lit, the city has a lower crime rate than most. And youcan get a bus to morecambe, blackpool,preston, trains to manchester leeds, edinburgh and london. She loves lancaster, shes in her 4th year now and its her home. She is looking for a phd and really wants to stay, but if she cant, she wants to be in the northwest, so Manchester/liverpool is an option as Lancaster is a good stepping stone up from small to big city. Lancaster is 10th in the complete uni guide so it is up there :smile:
Hiya,

I'd definitely recommend Lancaster Uni if you're looking for somewhere with a pretty campus that is safe and quiet. There's lots of really nice places on campus to relax and many quiet, peaceful spots. It's really green and has lots of ducks and wildlife. If you haven't, visiting the campus on a sunny day often is a big plus for students coming here (other than our high academic reputation).

There are lots of laid-back societies like the boardgame society, tabletop (dnd), dr who society, craft, baking, Balrigg FM(radio), magic+circus, chess etc who offer lots of nice community for students that don't want to centre their 1st year university experience around drinking and going out.

I would recommend choosing a college at Lancaster in Furness or Pendle which are some of the colleges with smaller house sizes, I know people who really liked sharing a kitchen with only 4-5 other people and those colleges also run non-drinking socials. I think there only being 3 clubs in town and Lancaster not being a big city discourages students from applying who solely pick a university based on proximity to party locations - that being said there are lots of bars on campus if students want to drink, but they close at 11pm. :smile:

I know many students who came to Lancaster who never engaged with the going-out culture in 1st year, but also students who went out most nights a week in freshers week. So have no fear, wherever you choose your university experience will be very much up to you. :smile:

Good luck!!
Ella, MSci Grad, 1st year PhD
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending