The Student Room Group

A level advice

I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science. I want to study maths at university and I am definitely applying to Manchester and Lancaster and the rest depend on my predicted grades (aiming for at least A’s). I plan to drop computer science at the end of the year and I wanted to take further maths but unfortunately my college has said no and they are saying it is too late. They have offered me statistics a level instead and I am interested in statistics and I am considering doing maths and statistics but further maths would be a lot better. I know Manchester and Lancaster do not require further maths a level and Manchester say they do prefer if you take it but the vast majority of students have it for a maths degree. I have checked the further maths private candidate fees for Edexcel and they are £137.00. This is affordable and I am considering it. I have found some core pure 1 courses on EDX which are free. What do you guys think I should do? Take statistics or ask if I can do my maths and physics at college then further maths privately. If I say that I am dead set on doing further maths privately they might let me join the class. I will be studying further maths from June and I want to complete the AS by September if I self study. Or should I just do statistics? I have my end of year mocks in around a week and was wondering should I try for computer science? Is there any point in me doing any work or revision for that exam? Thank you
Reply 1
my personal opinion is that further maths is not heavily important. It may make it easier to transition into your degree but with a bit of hard work you could probably catch up. The further maths a level is quite hard. So I would personally suggest you continue with your current a levels and get really good grades. You can do the courses for free just to improve your skills. For some universities, you can also say that your school has a bit of a fault in you not being able to do the further maths a level.
Original post by Safwan321
I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science. I want to study maths at university and I am definitely applying to Manchester and Lancaster and the rest depend on my predicted grades (aiming for at least A’s). I plan to drop computer science at the end of the year and I wanted to take further maths but unfortunately my college has said no and they are saying it is too late. They have offered me statistics a level instead and I am interested in statistics and I am considering doing maths and statistics but further maths would be a lot better. I know Manchester and Lancaster do not require further maths a level and Manchester say they do prefer if you take it but the vast majority of students have it for a maths degree. I have checked the further maths private candidate fees for Edexcel and they are £137.00. This is affordable and I am considering it. I have found some core pure 1 courses on EDX which are free. What do you guys think I should do? Take statistics or ask if I can do my maths and physics at college then further maths privately. If I say that I am dead set on doing further maths privately they might let me join the class. I will be studying further maths from June and I want to complete the AS by September if I self study. Or should I just do statistics? I have my end of year mocks in around a week and was wondering should I try for computer science? Is there any point in me doing any work or revision for that exam? Thank you

Helloo, I am a Final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster University, very happy to hear that you are interested in studying at Lancaster :smile: I think it is really important to choose what you enjoy studying. Since you are interested in statistics, I think it would be a nice choice to study statistics and work hard to get a good grade on it. You can always self-study the further maths contents as well, but considering the time that you have for preparing for A-level is limited, I would suggest focussing on something that you are interested in and confident in. All the best!

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest