The Student Room Group

a level biology and chemustry

i got an E in my most recent mock for biology and chemistry( im in year 13), however i really really need a B in these in order to get onto the course i want. Please help!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by enaiiii
i got an E in my most recent mock for biology and chemistry( im in year 13), however i really really need a B in these in order to get onto the course i want. Please help!
Hi @enaiiii,

Similar to your situation, I needed two grades up from my mocks to secure the course I wanted to enrol in for university. I also took Biology and Chemistry for my A-Levels and wanted a refresh on the entire syllabus because I noticed that it was difficult for me to answer questions from A2, when my foundations of AS content were pretty off.

A piece of advice I commonly heard was to drill exam past papers. This seemed very broad and general to me at the time, but I found it to be the most useful. A pattern I found throughout these past papers (biology especially) is the similarity of questions, most of the time you'll find big mark questions but they aren't as difficult as you think. These 'big mark' questions usually ask of a particular process or mechanism. By mentioning specific keywords you can easily get the marks you need. I found flashcards to be useful for memorising biological processes and mechanisms.

In terms of chemistry, for inorganic you would be required to be familiar with calculations so do practice some past paper questions covering those. Organic chemistry on the other hand, would require you to have a good understanding of organic mechanisms and naming organic compounds. Depending on your exam board, you may be required to draw out these mechanisms as well. There are plenty videos online highlighting the processes of these mechanisms.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 3
even if i have a lack of knowledge would you still recommend doing past papers, beacuse i feel like i dont know the content enough, or should i just do past papers anyways. What did you end up getting at the end of a levels if you dont mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest