The Student Room Group

Studying mechanical engineering as an economic student

I am an economic student and I chosed mechanical engineering,I think it's a big risk for a student who doesn't have a lot of knowledge in maths and physics my question is can I study this major and successed
Hey there ,
First of all congratulations for making the switch to STEM ( I might be a little bias but it is the best field to be apart of ).Choosing to study mechanical engineering as an economics student will present a few challenges, especially if you feel your background in mathematics and physics is limited. Just keep in mind that success in any field depends on determination, hard work, and a willingness to learn. If the university you applied to allowed you to make the switch then they must think it is possible even if it requires more work.
As an engineering student here are some tips to help you succeed in studying mechanical engineering:

Build a Strong Foundation: Since you feel your knowledge in mathematics and physics is limited, consider reviewing fundamental concepts in these subjects before starting your mechanical engineering courses. This could involve self-study using textbooks, online resources or watching some YouTube videos.
Seek Academic Support: Take advantage of academic support services offered by your university, such as tutoring, study groups, or workshops focused on mathematics and physics. Many universities provide resources specifically tailored to help students succeed in STEM ( at DMU we have the engineering learning centre and the maths learning centre )
Stay Organized and Manage Your Time: Mechanical engineering can be demanding, so it's crucial to stay organized and manage your time most effectively. Create a study schedule, prioritize tasks, and allocate enough time for studying mathematics and physics alongside your engineering coursework.
Attend and Engage Actively in Classes: this is self explanatory , attending is half the feat to understanding.
Use Additional Resources: Utilize additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and educational websites to supplement your learning.
Work on Problem-Solving Skills: Practice solving problems regularly to improve your analytical skills.

You are not the first student to transition into engineering fields from different backgrounds, just use any transferable skills to help you and embrace the learning process, stay determined, and don't hesitate to seek support when needed.
I hope this helps a little and Goodluck on your degree.
Cece
Energy Engineering student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest