The Student Room Group

Feeling uneasy - bipolar

I'm currently going through two big changes in my life: new job and new home.
Apparently they're among the two most stressful changes one can go through and I'm doing them both simultaneously.

To add to the mix, I have bipolar (type 2).
History of depression and real attempts to unlive.
Not that I'm feeling like THAT atm.

But I'm recognising that I'm not feeling great in myself.
My sleep pattern is messed up (I'm typing this at 3am) and I don't even know if I've been taking my meds regularly over the past fortnight.

I'm feeling out of step with the world and that's usually not a good sign.

I'm feeling a mixture of euphoria and 'what's the point'.

I'm going to withdraw myself from some of the serious threads I've been commenting on over this past week and take some time off to recenter.
I feel I really need that right now.

Not sure why I decided to post this. Perhaps out of concern for myself, a little.
(edited 10 months ago)
Hey, first off, I hope you’re doing okay. It sounds as though you have a good understanding of your illness and the effect it’s having on you, which is a really good first step towards improving things. You’re right that a new job and a new home are considered two of the biggest stressors there are, and to go through both simultaneously must take a lot of strength, so be proud of yourself for that :smile:

Secondly, it jumps out of me that you’re not certain you’re taking your meds as prescribed. As I’m sure you know, it’s really important with bipolar to take medications as prescribed, so I’d say the priority at the moment is to try and find a way that you can make sure you’re doing that. Have you got a support network in place (friends, family etc) who might be able to keep an eye on you and remind you to take your meds if necessary? Would it be possible to set alerts on your phone to let you know what medication is due when?

Taking yourself out of stressful situations like serious or volatile discussion threads sounds like a wise decision for the moment. That said, it’s really important that you try not to isolate yourself from friends and supportive people, as tempting as I know it can be to withdraw. If you’d like to talk on this thread, I’m sure myself and many others would be happy to chat and try to take your mind off things. I hope you start to feel better soon :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CriticalMuppet
Hey, first off, I hope you’re doing okay. It sounds as though you have a good understanding of your illness and the effect it’s having on you, which is a really good first step towards improving things. You’re right that a new job and a new home are considered two of the biggest stressors there are, and to go through both simultaneously must take a lot of strength, so be proud of yourself for that :smile:

Secondly, it jumps out of me that you’re not certain you’re taking your meds as prescribed. As I’m sure you know, it’s really important with bipolar to take medications as prescribed, so I’d say the priority at the moment is to try and find a way that you can make sure you’re doing that. Have you got a support network in place (friends, family etc) who might be able to keep an eye on you and remind you to take your meds if necessary? Would it be possible to set alerts on your phone to let you know what medication is due when?

Taking yourself out of stressful situations like serious or volatile discussion threads sounds like a wise decision for the moment. That said, it’s really important that you try not to isolate yourself from friends and supportive people, as tempting as I know it can be to withdraw. If you’d like to talk on this thread, I’m sure myself and many others would be happy to chat and try to take your mind off things. I hope you start to feel better soon :smile:

Hey,

Thanks for replying to this.

I was diagnosed in 2016 and over the course of the last few years I have learned how it effects me. I now have a pretty good grasp of the 'signs' that things are not going so good, as well as 'signs' that I'm doing well.

RE medication:
The issue I've had over the past week or so is that I've been getting out of bed gone 12:00 and thought I wouldn't take the meds as they tend to not be conducive to getting to sleep. I've corrected that now though and have been taking them.
Sleep is a key indicator for me about my current state.

Yes I totally agree, I have removed myself from volatile discussion for now.

Thanks again for your response. I just hope that in a month or so when I've moved house and settled into a new job, my mind will settle down :h:

Quick Reply

Latest