The Student Room Group

I have bipolar, would I be able to get a maintenance loan for distance learning?

Hi,
I'm looking to try university again, I have bipolar and feel I would have much more success with a distance learning course rather than attending in person.

When I was 21 I attempted university but really struggled due to the effects my bipolar had on attending in person.
Im now 28 and currently working full time, but I would like to reduce my work hours if I start university again but could only do this if I had financial support.

I've seen a lot of posts about this and people giving different information on how to be eligible for a maintenance loan if studying online.

I can get easily getter from my GP explaining my diagnosis and how that would effect me attending in person.

I've also seen that SFE would require me to contact brick wall Universities to confirm in writing that I wouldn't be suitable to attend in person.
I've spoke to a couple and they have been less than helpful, simply sending me links and info packages about their help available to students with mental health. (This is things such as counselling and what GP services they work with) They have also made me aware of the option to study online but have not told me that is the only option for me.

I don't feel like any university will tell me I can't attend in person due to my bipolar disorder, but my doctor will say it's better for my long term health to study online.

For me to get a maintenance loan What evidence do SFE actually require for me to prove my disability makes studying online a better option than attending in person?

Thanks
Original post by r_jeffrey
Hi,
I'm looking to try university again, I have bipolar and feel I would have much more success with a distance learning course rather than attending in person.

When I was 21 I attempted university but really struggled due to the effects my bipolar had on attending in person.
Im now 28 and currently working full time, but I would like to reduce my work hours if I start university again but could only do this if I had financial support.

I've seen a lot of posts about this and people giving different information on how to be eligible for a maintenance loan if studying online.

I can get easily getter from my GP explaining my diagnosis and how that would effect me attending in person.

I've also seen that SFE would require me to contact brick wall Universities to confirm in writing that I wouldn't be suitable to attend in person.
I've spoke to a couple and they have been less than helpful, simply sending me links and info packages about their help available to students with mental health. (This is things such as counselling and what GP services they work with) They have also made me aware of the option to study online but have not told me that is the only option for me.

I don't feel like any university will tell me I can't attend in person due to my bipolar disorder, but my doctor will say it's better for my long term health to study online.

For me to get a maintenance loan What evidence do SFE actually require for me to prove my disability makes studying online a better option than attending in person?

Thanks

Hi r_jeffrey,

You would need to provide evidence that explicitly states that distance learning is the only option for you and not that it is preferable. You can also explain in a cover letter of your experience trying to apply to brick universities and have not been suitable. This is treated on a case by cases dependent on your circumstances, so it is best to explain in as much details as you can on your cover letter.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending