The Student Room Group

What to take to University - essentials and the unnecessary

So packing up your entire existence obviously isn't necessary but when it comes to leaving home and venturing out alone for the first time..it can be overwhelming when thinking of what to take.

Together we've compiled a concise list to help you stay organised and ensure everything you take is useful.

Top uni essentials

Make the first few days easy on you:

Paperwork: ID and extra passport photos, confirmation letters for your course, accommodation and funding, insurance documents, and details about prescriptions, vaccinations or medical history

Mobile phone and if you don’t want to use uni computers a tablet or laptop. Printers are bulky and don’t always save money, so don’t feel like you need your own

Extension leads and chargers for any gadgets you’re bringing (you’ll be able to pick up batteries locally or online)

Ethernet cable: usually faster than wifi, but check if you’ve got wired access

Headphones and/or earplugs

Cash to keep you going

A few cleaning products to keep your space clean and tidy

A pack of cards, bottle of wine or some sweets can all help you get to know your new neighbours too!

For the kitchen

Think multi-purpose rather than niche gadgets:

Tupperware boxes for storing leftovers or keeping your grub secure in a shared fridge

Plate, bowl, mug and glasses

A small set of cutlery

Bottle opener and corkscrew

Chopping board and a good, sharp knife

Scissors, can opener, wooden spoon, spatula and grater

Baking tray, casserole dish and oven gloves

Washing up liquid and sponge

Tin foil, cling film and clothes pegs (cheap way to secure rice and pasta bags after opening)

A wok (or frying pan) and a saucepan with a lid

Colander or sieve

Measuring cups look for the kind that can measure both liquids and dry foods

For the bedroom

Check what’s included in your rent, along with the size of the room and your bed before buying:

Pillowcase, bed sheet and duvet cover (plus a spare set). If you can afford it, consider a mattress protector and topper, too.

Family photos and personal mementos. You’ll be able to get knick-knacks, rugs and posters there, so only pack them if they’ll take the edge off homesickness (and you’ve got room in your luggage).

Coat hangers, clothes horse and laundry bag

Night clothes, dressing gown and slippers (or flip flops for shared toilet or bathroom!)

Shoes and clothes but be selective. Plenty of socks and undies will get you further between laundry days, but don’t pack absolutely everything you own! Pack for the time of year ie, a winter coat, gloves and a scarf for term one.

Don’t forget: interview clothes, work wear, sports kit, outfits for nights out and all your Freshers fancy dress options

6 things you DON’T need to pack for uni

It’s worth stocking up on tinned and long-life goodies, along with fresh food and bulk-buy savings but do it after you’ve arrived. Drop your luggage off, then do a big shop!

It’s easy to get stationery (especially bulky folders and files) in the local shops. Keep a pen to hand for tackling paperwork, along with a pad (or your phone) to keep notes and to-do lists, then aim to fill up on free stationery at the Freshers’ Fayre.

Books. Waiting until you get to university means cheaper prices, more choice, and lighter luggage.

Pack prescription and essential items, but go easy on over the counter medicines. You won’t need more than a couple of basics to see you through the first week (plasters and painkillers).

Check what’s included in the rent before shopping for pans and kitchen gadgets and if you’re flat sharing, see if you can spread the cost for communal gear.

TV, DVDs and games consoles. With downloads and a decent tablet, phone or laptop (which you’ll probably have anyway) it’s easy to get by without bulkier gear.

Remember that much of what you’ll need can easily be sourced locally or online (or from your next trip home), so only bring it with you if it saves you time, money or stress. Start with essentials or irreplaceable items first and the rest will fall into place.

What else would you advise students to bring with them?
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
So packing up your entire existence obviously isn't necessary but when it comes to leaving home and venturing out alone for the first time..it can be overwhelming when thinking of what to take.

Together we've compiled a concise list to help you stay organised and ensure everything you take is useful.

Top uni essentials

Make the first few days easy on you:

Paperwork: ID and extra passport photos, confirmation letters for your course, accommodation and funding, insurance documents, and details about prescriptions, vaccinations or medical history

Mobile phone and if you don’t want to use uni computers a tablet or laptop. Printers are bulky and don’t always save money, so don’t feel like you need your own

Extension leads and chargers for any gadgets you’re bringing (you’ll be able to pick up batteries locally or online)

Ethernet cable: usually faster than wifi, but check if you’ve got wired access

Headphones and/or earplugs

Cash to keep you going

A few cleaning products to keep your space clean and tidy

A pack of cards, bottle of wine or some sweets can all help you get to know your new neighbours too!

For the kitchen

Think multi-purpose rather than niche gadgets:

Tupperware boxes for storing leftovers or keeping your grub secure in a shared fridge

Plate, bowl, mug and glasses

A small set of cutlery

Bottle opener and corkscrew

Chopping board and a good, sharp knife

Scissors, can opener, wooden spoon, spatula and grater

Baking tray, casserole dish and oven gloves

Washing up liquid and sponge

Tin foil, cling film and clothes pegs (cheap way to secure rice and pasta bags after opening)

A wok (or frying pan) and a saucepan with a lid

Colander or sieve

Measuring cups look for the kind that can measure both liquids and dry foods

For the bedroom

Check what’s included in your rent, along with the size of the room and your bed before buying:

Pillowcase, bed sheet and duvet cover (plus a spare set). If you can afford it, consider a mattress protector and topper, too.

Family photos and personal mementos. You’ll be able to get knick-knacks, rugs and posters there, so only pack them if they’ll take the edge off homesickness (and you’ve got room in your luggage).

Coat hangers, clothes horse and laundry bag

Night clothes, dressing gown and slippers (or flip flops for shared toilet or bathroom!)

Shoes and clothes but be selective. Plenty of socks and undies will get you further between laundry days, but don’t pack absolutely everything you own! Pack for the time of year ie, a winter coat, gloves and a scarf for term one.

Don’t forget: interview clothes, work wear, sports kit, outfits for nights out and all your Freshers fancy dress options

6 things you DON’T need to pack for uni

It’s worth stocking up on tinned and long-life goodies, along with fresh food and bulk-buy savings but do it after you’ve arrived. Drop your luggage off, then do a big shop!

It’s easy to get stationery (especially bulky folders and files) in the local shops. Keep a pen to hand for tackling paperwork, along with a pad (or your phone) to keep notes and to-do lists, then aim to fill up on free stationery at the Freshers’ Fayre.

Books. Waiting until you get to university means cheaper prices, more choice, and lighter luggage.

Pack prescription and essential items, but go easy on over the counter medicines. You won’t need more than a couple of basics to see you through the first week (plasters and painkillers).

Check what’s included in the rent before shopping for pans and kitchen gadgets and if you’re flat sharing, see if you can spread the cost for communal gear.

TV, DVDs and games consoles. With downloads and a decent tablet, phone or laptop (which you’ll probably have anyway) it’s easy to get by without bulkier gear.

Remember that much of what you’ll need can easily be sourced locally or online (or from your next trip home), so only bring it with you if it saves you time, money or stress. Start with essentials or irreplaceable items first and the rest will fall into place.

What else would you advise students to bring with them?

This is a fantastic list!
I’d add LEDs and fairy lights :smile:

Thanks
Emily <3
This list is very helpful!

Here's some extra bits I would recommend to bring/buy:

I would recommend packing your items in low under the bed storage boxes. I found I needed to use room under my bed for storage, so these were great to keep my things organised and maximise the space I had in my bedroom. These are also super useful when it comes to moving house too!

Over the door hooks - these are perfect for maximising storage.
I also loved to use diffusers as most uni accommodation doesn't allow candles, so these were good to make your room smell nice. Obviously, you could buy these once you’re at uni but I'd definitely recommend them.
Remember to bring some slippers or sliders as the floor in uni accommodation kitchens can be very dirty.
I'd also recommend getting yourself a mattress topper as most of the beds aren't the comfiest and this also protects the mattress underneath.
Buying two sets of bedding has been a life saver for me, so I can make a rotation for when one set of bedding is in the wash. The wash and driers at my university took a long time, so this meant I always had fresh bedding on my bed.
A big laundry bag which can transport your laundry is important too. At my uni accommodation the washers were quite a walk away from my flat, so I had a big bag with handles and a zip.
A speaker. this will come in handy when having parties and gatherings.

I hope this helps!

Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
This is a fantastic list!
I’d add LEDs and fairy lights :smile:

Thanks
Emily <3

Ooooh good shout on the fairy lights!
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Ooooh good shout on the fairy lights!

I know I literally swear by them

Quick Reply