The Student Room Group

A Level Choice Help

I'm struggling to decide with A-Level choices. I'm fairly certain I want to go into Law and equally certain that I want to avoid a science-based degree. I plan on doing 4 A-Levels but I'm not sure which... I've narrowed it down to:
Economics, Politics, French, Maths and Philosophy but I can't decide which to cut. Not too fond of the thought of doing Maths A-Level but apparently its almost crucial for a top univeristy.
Original post by chizzle6
I'm struggling to decide with A-Level choices. I'm fairly certain I want to go into Law and equally certain that I want to avoid a science-based degree. I plan on doing 4 A-Levels but I'm not sure which... I've narrowed it down to:
Economics, Politics, French, Maths and Philosophy but I can't decide which to cut. Not too fond of the thought of doing Maths A-Level but apparently its almost crucial for a top univeristy.

I think uni's will want Maths so, unfortunately, you'll probably have to do it.
From there, I'd pick econ, politics and french but that's just me. Ultimately, do the ones you think you'll do the best in.
i was pretty similar to you when i went into it and ended up with a language, english lang, maths and religious studies (philosophy ethics and religion). i personally love my a levels a lot and found they gave me a lot of range. i also decided i didn’t want to go into law about half way through year twelve, and since i knew i loved my subjects, i wasn’t saddled with “needed” but unbearable subjects for two years.
a lot of people tend to go for history and politics for a law degree, but that’s unnecessary and i would only recommend doing so if you like them.
going from what you’ve said, i would definitely cut maths. you won’t enjoy it, year thirteen gets really hard, and you don’t need it. no universities require it.
some places say they need an essential subject, which is usually history english or maths for law. the only one of these on your list is maths, but i would maybe consider doing politics, french, history and philosophy, although i know history wasn’t on your list, you may find it more fulfilling and equally as useful as maths
hope that helps slightly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest