The Student Room Group

AQA Economics A-level

I'm in year 12 and I'm a little unsure of how best to revise for economics. I'm aiming for an A* in the end. Currently I'm just mixing my class notes and making notes from the textbook and memorising the definitions. Here are the questions I have:

-is there another/better way to revise? If not, how should I make notes from the textbook, it is extremelyyyy wordy.
-do I need to know every chain of analysis for everything?
-how can I improve my chains of analysis?
-is it ok if I shorten the definitions I am given (obviously keeping anything key in)
-for 25 markers do I need to evaluate throughout or just in the conclusion (and how should I go about evaluating??)
-any tips for writing 9,15,25 markers quickly? My teacher told me 9 and 15 markers should only take 20mins, and 25 markers 40 mins. I did GCSE economics and my main problem when it came to 6 markers was always speed even though I'm normally a veryyyy fast writer- in econ I need to plan, think it through, analyse etc. Any way I could improve my speed apart from practicing?

Thanks! I would highly appreciate any advice.
Original post by distressing-arch
I'm in year 12 and I'm a little unsure of how best to revise for economics. I'm aiming for an A* in the end. Currently I'm just mixing my class notes and making notes from the textbook and memorising the definitions. Here are the questions I have:

-is there another/better way to revise? If not, how should I make notes from the textbook, it is extremelyyyy wordy.
-do I need to know every chain of analysis for everything?
-how can I improve my chains of analysis?
-is it ok if I shorten the definitions I am given (obviously keeping anything key in)
-for 25 markers do I need to evaluate throughout or just in the conclusion (and how should I go about evaluating??)
-any tips for writing 9,15,25 markers quickly? My teacher told me 9 and 15 markers should only take 20mins, and 25 markers 40 mins. I did GCSE economics and my main problem when it came to 6 markers was always speed even though I'm normally a veryyyy fast writer- in econ I need to plan, think it through, analyse etc. Any way I could improve my speed apart from practicing?

Thanks! I would highly appreciate any advice.

Hey @distressing-arch,

I hope you're keeping well :smile:

Firsly, let me just say that it's amazing that you're already thinking about how to revise effectively for your exams - I can assure you it's definitely achievable with the right approach. Don't worry if you feel a bit overwhelmed at this stage; it's perfectly normal. With consistent effort and smart revision strategies, you'll be well on your way to achieving your goals.

Now, I'll try and go one by one to answer some of your questions:

Is there another/better way to revise? If not, how should I make notes from the textbook, it is extremelyyyy wordy.
[start]There are certainly other effective revision strategies besides simply mixing class notes and textbook notes. I love to do a mix of both - since it helps your mind remember better. These are some of the things I would suggest:[/start]

Create mind maps or concept maps to organise and connect key concepts

Summarise key points in your workbook to highlight the main ideas and supporting ideas

Use flashcards and mnemoics to help you memorise key concepts

Practice answering past papers to formalise yourself with the exam

Seek help from teachers or tutors if need be for more guidance

Do I need to know every chain of analysis for everything?
[start]It's not essential to memorise every chain of analysis for every topic. As someone currently taking economics at Uni, I can say that it's more important to understand the underlying principles and be able to apply them to different scenarios. Focus on comprehending the economic concepts and how they inter-relate rather than simply memorising specific formulas or models. [/start]

How can I improve my chains of analysis?

Here are some tips I can think of for improving your analysis chains:

Identify the main economic concept or issue

Break down the analysis into clear steps

Use economic terminology and jargon appropriately

Support your arguments with evidence and examples

Draw diagrams or graphs where relevant

Keep Practising Them (I can't stress this enough - neat little tricks will only take you so far. Honestly, the best course of action is making your chains, and after a while - asking your teacher to give their opinon on them. If they're good - brilliant - keep practising them. If not, brilliant - keep practising them!)

Is it ok if I shorten the definitions I am given (obviously keeping anything key in)?
[start]Yeah, I think so. Honestly, at uni its perfectly acceptable to shorten definitions, as long as you retain the essential meaning and key concepts. Avoid simply memorising long, verbatim definitions; instead, focus on understanding the meaning and being able to explain them in your own words. [/start]
[start]I would argue - do try to "memorise" these definitons in time - but don't prioritise them. Sometimes, memorising definitions helps - as they include technicalities that you can use to your advantage when analysing to improve your work - but this only helps after you actually understand the concept first. So, as stated previously - don't prioritise it, but in time ,it might not hurt to give it a go. [/start]

For 25 markers, do I need to evaluate throughout or just in the conclusion (and how should I go about evaluating?)
[start]Evaluation should be integrated throughout your essay, not just confined to the conclusion. However, the conclusion is a prime opportunity to summarise your main points and provide a final, overarching evaluation.[/start]

Assess the strengths and weaknesses of different economic theories or policies.

Consider the real-world implications and limitations of economic models.

Look at the ethical considerations and potential unintended consequences of economic decisions.

Really, the best way to think about evaluation is to just ask questions! These are just some questions you can ask yourself, you don't need to answer every single one in a question either - just one or two is good imo:

How reliable is the data?

Short run and long run?

What other factors play a role?

What other viewpoints could there be?

What state is the economy in - does this matter?

How significant is a certain factor?

Any tips for writing 9, 15, and 25-markers quickly? My teacher told me 9 and 15-markers should only take 20 minutes, and 25-markers 40 minutes.
[start]Improving writing speed necessitates practice and familiarity with the exam format. Here are some suggestions:[/start]

Plan your essay carefully before you start writing

Use clear and concise language

Avoid unnecessary repetition and digressions (this comes w/ planning)

Proofread carefully (it's absolutely fine to take some time after writing to make sure all is right)

Use templates or outlines to help structure your essays efficiently.

Seek feedback from your teacher or tutor on your writing speed and effectiveness.

Practise Practise Practise

Ultimately, effective revision is not about just memorising and cramming information into your head until you give up and cry - it's about understanding concepts, familiarising yourself and applying these concepts to different scenarios - whether they be real or fake, and developing your communication and writing skills.
As long as you have the effort and the drive - which you clearly do, I'm absolutely certain you'll be able to get an A*.

Good luck - I hope this helps!
I'll be rooting for you!

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative

Quick Reply

Latest