The Student Room Group

Would I have lost marks for this (OCR A chem)

In the 2023 paper 2 there was a question on free radical substitution, I'm sure I did it right but after I had answered half the question using displayed formula I realised it asked for skeletal or structural. I'd done it in pen so had to just go to the extra space and I wrote "SKELETAL IN EXTRA SPACE" under the question, but I didn't cross out the displayed bit. I'm sure it is correct formula but I hope they don't think that I don't know what skeletal is or something. Do you think I will be ok?

Also for a lot of the equations I wrote in my B pencil because if I used pen it would have been a terrible mess and a little worried about that as well because the front says pencil only for graphs and diagrams. Does an equation using displayed formula count as a diagram? Surely they can't mark me down for that because I'm sure it's readable. Maybe a dumb question but it's kinda stressing me out
Reply 1
I had sort of the same problem as you with the formula. A part from I drew the skeletal on top of the molecular in the end. Hopefully both of ours is ok. For the pencil stuff, drawing displayed formula I'm pretty sure will count as a diagram as it's not words, so it should be fine. It'll still be readable anyway, as they scan all the paper the same way so if it comes up for part of it, it will for other parts too (presuming you used a HB pencil)
Reply 2
Original post by Infinxty09
I had sort of the same problem as you with the formula. A part from I drew the skeletal on top of the molecular in the end. Hopefully both of ours is ok. For the pencil stuff, drawing displayed formula I'm pretty sure will count as a diagram as it's not words, so it should be fine. It'll still be readable anyway, as they scan all the paper the same way so if it comes up for part of it, it will for other parts too (presuming you used a HB pencil)

Thanks so much, I'm hoping for the radical sub even if you used fully molecular or something it's just a one mark loss.. Hopefully maximises both of our chances, I think it would be a little cruel otherwise. Good luck with paper 3 (:

Quick Reply

Latest