The Student Room Group

tips for aqa a level biology:)

im self teaching and need some advice and resources that you all recommend, thanks!!
also is it difficult to self teach??
Reply 1
Original post by alevelstudent090
im self teaching and need some advice and resources that you all recommend, thanks!!
also is it difficult to self teach??

Change exam boards 👍
Original post by Marzini
Change exam boards 👍

sadly i can’t because im doing it through oxbridge home learning as they let you do practicals 😩😩 is it that bad ??
sadly i can’t because im doing it through oxbridge home learning as they let you do practicals 😩😩 is it that bad ??

AQA has 25 mark essays which could be why they don’t like it. There are a lot of people doing OCR A so if you wanna think about doing that there are people who can tell you about it but the difference is that AQA is very clear in their specification while OCR A are very vague.
Reply 4

Not really but it is less about knowing biology and more about knowing mark schemes and what they want you to say unfortunately. Saying this it is doable but a lot of focus needs to go on past paper questions so physicsandmathstutor is best place to start and get a feel for them
Reply 5
Original post by JA03
AQA has 25 mark essays which could be why they don’t like it. There are a lot of people doing OCR A so if you wanna think about doing that there are people who can tell you about it but the difference is that AQA is very clear in their specification while OCR A are very vague.

Funnily enough the essays are the only bit that actually reward you for knowing your biology with no hidden or oddly specific wording!
Original post by JA03

that’s annoying!!! the only exam board that i can do is AQA :frown:. i will just learn how to answer by practicing past papers/exam questions!

Original post by Marzini
Not really but it is less about knowing biology and more about knowing mark schemes and what they want you to say unfortunately. Saying this it is doable but a lot of focus needs to go on past paper questions so physicsandmathstutor is best place to start and get a feel for them

that’s a real shame. i’m only doing biology because it looks interesting and because i need it for a degree i want to pursue. i can choose physics, chemistry or biology. i’ve chosen bio as i think id perform better. have u got any experiences in chem or physics?
i also take psychology already so i think it would be a good mix
Reply 7
that’s a real shame. i’m only doing biology because it looks interesting and because i need it for a degree i want to pursue. i can choose physics, chemistry or biology. i’ve chosen bio as i think id perform better. have u got any experiences in chem or physics?
i also take psychology already so i think it would be a good mix

I did chemistry and AQA here is much better. The chemistry content is challenging but with lots of effort you can more easily see your work translate into marks.
Original post by Marzini
I did chemistry and AQA here is much better. The chemistry content is challenging but with lots of effort you can more easily see your work translate into marks.

what if im basically new to this sort of subject. as in, i haven’t done GCSEs in ages. im an adult doing a-levels. is chem really hard to learn as a beginner basically if you work so hard? gonna do some research! :smile:
Reply 9
what if im basically new to this sort of subject. as in, i haven’t done GCSEs in ages. im an adult doing a-levels. is chem really hard to learn as a beginner basically if you work so hard? gonna do some research! :smile:

Does require your gcse knowledge so maybe a recap might help? Allery chemistry on youtube is a really good way to help to understand the content as he explains each topic very well bang on the specification
Original post by Marzini
Does require your gcse knowledge so maybe a recap might help? Allery chemistry on youtube is a really good way to help to understand the content as he explains each topic very well bang on the specification

yes, im thinking of re taking science anyway at gcse to get a better grade and to also learn the basics. thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest