The Student Room Group

help 😭

In regards to my AS (WJEC, Wales) subjects, I opted for English Literature, Psychology, and Classics. I achieved an A in English and a high B in Psychology (no grade for Classics since it follows a linear course). However, significant personal circumstances arose at the beginning of A2, prompting me to defer my studies for a year. Despite this, I was determined to remain engaged in education and continued with English, where I am predicted to receive an A*. My concern is whether top universities will disregard my application due to the fact that I technically took three years to complete my A-levels, despite not retaking any exams and the serious issues that led to my gap year. Basically, I'm uncertain if it's worth pursuing admission to these universities (specifically Manchester, Bristol, UCL, and St Andrews). Am I wasting my time?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by bethgore
In regards to my AS (WJEC, Wales) subjects, I opted for English Literature, Psychology, and Classics. I achieved an A in English and a high B in Psychology (no grade for Classics since it follows a linear course). However, significant personal circumstances arose at the beginning of A2, prompting me to defer my studies for a year. Despite this, I was determined to remain engaged in education and continued with English, where I am predicted to receive an A*. My concern is whether top universities will disregard my application due to the fact that I technically took three years to complete my A-levels, despite not retaking any exams and the serious issues that led to my gap year. Basically, I'm uncertain if it's worth pursuing admission to these universities (specifically Manchester, Bristol, UCL, and St Andrews). Am I wasting my time?

You are not wasting your time, no.

However, you should ensure that your school / college provides details of the background behind the three-year A level timeline in the reference they provide. That way, it'll be clear to those universities that this wasn't a case of you retaking a year, but was because you took a gap year during your A levels due to the "significant personal circumstances" you mention above.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You are not wasting your time, no.

However, you should ensure that your school / college provides details of the background behind the three-year A level timeline in the reference they provide. That way, it'll be clear to those universities that this wasn't a case of you retaking a year, but was because you took a gap year during your A levels due to the "significant personal circumstances" you mention above.

ah yes that makes sense! thanks for replying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest