The Student Room Group

best way to learn for theory if reading doesn't work?

i've just booked my theory for september, and i've been trying to learn from the book but it just doesn't go in, and i struggle to understand a lot of what it's talking about (i also ******* hate driving but my parents are making me learn lmao). in my practical lessons i struggle a lot when it's explained to me without visual input/me actually getting to see what my instructor means. i've downloaded an app and i'm looking at quizlets, because i know those work for me academically, but i was wondering if anyone had any other tips for learning theory when you struggle with using the books?
Reply 1
Original post by spammbo
i've just booked my theory for september, and i've been trying to learn from the book but it just doesn't go in, and i struggle to understand a lot of what it's talking about (i also ******* hate driving but my parents are making me learn lmao). in my practical lessons i struggle a lot when it's explained to me without visual input/me actually getting to see what my instructor means. i've downloaded an app and i'm looking at quizlets, because i know those work for me academically, but i was wondering if anyone had any other tips for learning theory when you struggle with using the books?

my theory's next week, i recommend the dvsa 4 in 1 app it has practice questions and mock tests which are similar to the actual test
Reply 2
Apps are probably the Best tools. I also recommend studying for shorter periods. So 10-15 minutes at a time, A few times a day. September is more than enough time to get ready for the theory.
How to study for the theory that's a good question.:h:

Everyone studies it differently. I did help someone pass it after I gave her some advice on what to do as she already failed it a few times. She passed it with my advice near borderline. (Her English second language but under GCSE level).

The way I studied it was, read it the chapter and do the questions. Kept going for a while. I got bored it and started to memorize the questions and how they are worded. Doing it this way you'll get through the questions faster and you will start to notice repeat questions worded differently. Also it comes down to common sense as well.

The video questions are different as you need to watch them as some are very similar how they come up in the test.

Depending on the time you booked the test I would get in some practice before going in and you should pass easily.

You just need to keep practicing every day.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
How about using other people? :smile: If reading doesn't work for you, then perhaps you have someone that could help you and explain things to you while you do a few practice theory tests? Preferably someone who is a bit clued up but this can be a really useful tool - in the absence of that, really spend some time thinking out loud and trying to work out as many answers as possible through process of elimination!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending