The Student Room Group

feels like **** after failing driving test

I did my test yesterday and failed with 3 serious and !15 DRIVING FAULTS! Feels crushed after the examiner asked me whether I came here in my own accord or my instructor told me I was ready - pretty obvious what she's trying to say.
The thing is, I do fine in my lessons and my instructor was sure I can pass but during the test I felt like my head was spinning and I was struggling to check mirrors (all 3 serious). I was tunnel visioning hard and the examiner had to pull the car to one side.
Just feel like **** after flushing 20+ lessons and like 800 quid down the drain
I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't have the outcome you were hoping for. It must be frustrating and disappointing. It's not uncommon for nerves to affect performance on the day of the test, even if you've been doing well in practice.
Firstly, take a deep breath. Failing a driving test doesn't mean you're a bad driver. It's a stressful situation, and nerves can get the best of anyone. It's also a learning experience, and you can use it to understand how to manage stress better in the future.
Consider talking to your instructor about your experience during the test. They might have some insights or advice on how to handle nerves and stay focused during the actual exam. Remember, it's okay to take the test again. Many people need more than one attempt, and it doesn't diminish your ability to become a skilled and confident driver.
Take a little time for yourself, regroup, and when you're ready, give it another shot. You've invested time and money into this, and it's not wasted. It's an investment in your skills and safety on the road. Keep your head up! You'll get there.
Reply 2
Original post by idealistic
I did my test yesterday and failed with 3 serious and !15 DRIVING FAULTS! Feels crushed after the examiner asked me whether I came here in my own accord or my instructor told me I was ready - pretty obvious what she's trying to say.
The thing is, I do fine in my lessons and my instructor was sure I can pass but during the test I felt like my head was spinning and I was struggling to check mirrors (all 3 serious). I was tunnel visioning hard and the examiner had to pull the car to one side.

Hi
The examiner shouldn’t have insulted you that was very wrong and discouraging. I don’t think if this will be any solace to you but almost everyone fails their driving test the first time .The main factor causing people to fail first time is nerves and anxiety. I hope you try again soon

Keep your head up
Best wishes
-appleonly
Original post by appleonly
Hi
The examiner shouldn’t have insulted you that was very wrong and discouraging. I don’t think if this will be any solace to you but almost everyone fails their driving test the first time .The main factor causing people to fail first time is nerves and anxiety. I hope you try again soon

Keep your head up
Best wishes
-appleonly

I don't think that's insulting or 'wrong', it's the sort of questions that get asked when you absolutely bomb a test like that, esp making them intervene. You can only attribute so much doubt to test day nerves before it's apparent you aren't test ready and if you're driving is putting people at risk they won't sugar coat it.

It's the same as sitting a big school test and getting 10%, questions about how prepared you are will be asked.
Original post by idealistic

I think what the examiner was probably hinting at is that your instructor isn't very good. Judging by the number of faults you made, togerther with the fact the examiner had to take physical action, clearly indicates that your instructor has taken you for the test well before you're ready.

I worked as an examiner for many years, and there were many times I wish I could have told test candidates the simple truth about the standard of the people who were supposed to be teaching them!

Consider trying another instructor, and make sure that both you and they feel that you're confident and well prepared before you take the test again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending