The Student Room Group

Theory test in 3 days!

Hi I have my driving theory test in 3 days! Things have happened and I haven't revised at all and I'm so worried. I can't refund it or change the date and now I'm worried about it! Can I do well and pass in 3 days?

What should I do? What should I focus on?
Are there any tips or main things to remember?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Learn all of your signs (round ones, triangular ones, lane markings) in the Highway Code
Learn the MUST not and SHOULD not rules through out the Highway Code
Pay attention to the extra care needed for pedestrians (giving way at junctions) and cyclists (extra room)

Try the Safer Driving for life 7 day app with all the multiple highway code questions, video clips and questions and hazard perception clips. It covers everything and I think its about £15 - not the cheapest but a thorough set of learning questions (there are others but the fact is you need to devote yourself to learning and quickly)

Immerse yourself totally on a 3 day binge fest of driving rules etc etc - nothing else at all!! Eat sleep, Highway Code; Eat sleep, Highway Code etc - And you might be in with a chance.

Good luck

Remember for the MCQ's - There are usually 2 answers you can discard, and there are usually 2 answers left that are very similar so read the question carefully. Never change an answer at the end to a different one unless you are very very sure it is wrong, or you have misread the question to start with.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Learn all of your signs (round ones, triangular ones, lane markings) in the Highway Code
Learn the MUST not and SHOULD not rules through out the Highway Code
Pay attention to the extra care needed for pedestrians (giving way at junctions) and cyclists (extra room)

Try the Safer Driving for life 7 day app with all the multiple highway code questions, video clips and questions and hazard perception clips. It covers everything and I think its about £15 - not the cheapest but a thorough set of learning questions (there are others but the fact is you need to devote yourself to learning and quickly)

Immerse yourself totally on a 3 day binge fest of driving rules etc etc - nothing else at all!! Eat sleep, Highway Code; Eat sleep, Highway Code etc - And you might be in with a chance.

Good luck

Remember for the MCQ's - There are usually 2 answers you can discard, and there are usually 2 answers left that are very similar so read the question carefully. Never change an answer at the end to a different one unless you are very very sure it is wrong, or you have misread the question to start with.

Thank you!! :smile: I really appreciate it! I've been feeling like it's a lot of heavy content to get my head around, but I'll do my best to do this the next couple days! 👍
Original post by fastengines
Hi I have my driving theory test in 3 days! Things have happened and I haven't revised at all and I'm so worried. I can't refund it or change the date and now I'm worried about it! Can I do well and pass in 3 days?

For the Questions, honestly most of them are just common sense.

good luck
Reply 4
Hi, I did mine in four days and I got 49/50 :smile:

Do a mock test 4 times a day until the test, and definitely practice hazards. The test is pretty much all the mock questions.

Good luck!
Original post by Muttly

Very solid advice.

Two answers are nearly always outlandish, ("having a drink before driving... calms your nerves"), so you are often only picking between two choices.

I found the theory pretty straightforward. I just read up on lots of questions from a book and the test was structured identically. I think the hazard perception is the bit that most people get caught out on, not because they don't see the hazards, but that they don't respond to them in the way that the test recognises.
download the DVSA theory apps and smash through all the questions. I passed theory test first time and all the questions (except one) I had seen on the app

Reply 7
Original post by Anyazz
Hi, I did mine in four days and I got 49/50 :smile:

Do a mock test 4 times a day until the test, and definitely practice hazards. The test is pretty much all the mock questions.

Good luck!

Amazing! I have my test tomorrow and I'm so scared because I keep failing the mocks :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
Very solid advice.

Two answers are nearly always outlandish, ("having a drink before driving... calms your nerves"), so you are often only picking between two choices.

I found the theory pretty straightforward. I just read up on lots of questions from a book and the test was structured identically. I think the hazard perception is the bit that most people get caught out on, not because they don't see the hazards, but that they don't respond to them in the way that the test recognises.

That is a good point but I keep failing the mock and I'm not to bad for the rest. I'm always 10 marks or so out!
Reply 9
Original post by B7861
download the DVSA theory apps and smash through all the questions. I passed theory test first time and all the questions (except one) I had seen on the app

Okay! How many times did you do the mock tests?
Reply 10
I have my test tomorrow and I'm so scared because I keep failing the mocks and the multiple choice is getting to me about 10 marks off the pass. Any advice on what to do or what I have to memorise before going into the test?
mate all you have to do is questions, its soooooo simple honestly. just smash questions out all day till your test and ones you got wrong read the explanation why you got it wrong.
Okay! How many times did you do the mock tests?
Reply 12
I have my test tomorrow and I'm so scared because I keep failing the mocks and the multiple choice is getting to me about 10 marks off the pass. Any advice on what to do or what I have to memorise before going into the test?

Your mindset is much of the cause of the pass or fail problem.

Stop being scared and accept totally that you will fail. Then you are not surprised. So treat the whole experience step by step and be totally curious as you go. Not scared, just curious as to what comes next. Imagine you have been tasked with writing a report on what happened in this experience so you have to listen to the instructions. Then when it comes to the videos & questions ask yourself 'what am I seeing so I can report on this?' What just happened? Then you can read everything slowly and carefully and ask yourself if you understood everything as you try to answer the questions. Do the best you can. Then at the end see how you did?

If you are scared you shut down mentally and do not hear or see things you should ordinarily. Hence you fail.

Go in and try it, and get your badge of honour - a fail

Then do it again, older, wiser.

Or you might just be lucky and pass it.
Original post by Muttly
Your mindset is much of the cause of the pass or fail problem.

Stop being scared and accept totally that you will fail. Then you are not surprised. So treat the whole experience step by step and be totally curious as you go. Not scared, just curious as to what comes next. Imagine you have been tasked with writing a report on what happened in this experience so you have to listen to the instructions. Then when it comes to the videos & questions ask yourself 'what am I seeing so I can report on this?' What just happened? Then you can read everything slowly and carefully and ask yourself if you understood everything as you try to answer the questions. Do the best you can. Then at the end see how you did?

If you are scared you shut down mentally and do not hear or see things you should ordinarily. Hence you fail.

Go in and try it, and get your badge of honour - a fail

Then do it again, older, wiser.

Or you might just be lucky and pass it.

That’s some good motivation bro…. Make the guy think he’s gonna fail lol. Sometimes it’s good to be scared, have you never been scared when doing an important test? Nerves help sometimes.
Reply 14

how did it go?
Reply 15
Original post by huhleema
how did it go?

I was going to say an update, I missed out by 3 marks unfortunately 😅
Reply 16
Does anyone know how I can contact the staff who were there during my test? I can't find info about them on the centre or a website.
Reply 17
hi there, don't know if this is still working but I want to start learning to drive soon. How should i go about revision, because i am getting confused with theory and practical.
i know about traffic signs and highway code but what else do i need/ what books do you recommend me studying from?
Reply 18

If you are on IOS, there's a DVLA app. I revised for my theory 4 hours before the exam. It is very easy and you have 3 days to revise for this. I would not cancel it if I were you.
Reply 19
Original post by addie436.
hi there, don't know if this is still working but I want to start learning to drive soon. How should i go about revision, because i am getting confused with theory and practical.
i know about traffic signs and highway code but what else do i need/ what books do you recommend me studying from?

There's a DVLA app that has mock exams and contains all the content needed to ace the exam. Nothing to worry about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending