The Student Room Group

website/blog for oxbridge applications

thediscoverypost.blogspot.com

I'm in year eleven currently and I've started a science website/blog, mainly for fun but also to help with uni (especially oxbridge) applications. I'm looking for people who are interested in the same stuff as me and can share their own resources/read through mine and give opinions and advice

also, to what extent do unis like this kind of thing? and what other stuff are they interested in
Reply 1
Original post by paulinesmithson
thediscoverypost.blogspot.com

I'm in year eleven currently and I've started a science website/blog, mainly for fun but also to help with uni (especially oxbridge) applications. I'm looking for people who are interested in the same stuff as me and can share their own resources/read through mine and give opinions and advice

also, to what extent do unis like this kind of thing? and what other stuff are they interested in

I got an offer from Cambridge for architecture :-)
What kind of advice would you like?
Well done on the offer! I know they like supercurriculars but what kind of things are best? I'm applying for biochemistry likely

Original post by Andi.0k
I got an offer from Cambridge for architecture :-)
What kind of advice would you like?
Reply 3
Well done on the offer! I know they like supercurriculars but what kind of things are best? I'm applying for biochemistry likely

Any reading you've done around your subject is best. They asked me about my EPQ because it was based on architecture so I talked about the research and how it impacts wider society. They also asked me about my volunteering (linking it to architecture) so they'll definitely ask you about your personal statement. For STEM subjects I've heard they ask you to complete questions but you don't need to get them all right you just need to show them that you can think, discuss and are open minded (double check that).
Reply 4

I have an offer from oxford for Biochem so if theres anything you wanted to know you could PM me or just post here!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Marzini
I have an offer from oxford for Biochem so if theres anything you wanted to know you could PM me or just post here!

Well done on the offer! That's exactly the course and uni I was looking at
Could you tell me a bit about what kind of things helped you the most, and how I should start preparing (I still have a bit of time) if that's alright
Reply 6
Well done on the offer! That's exactly the course and uni I was looking at
Could you tell me a bit about what kind of things helped you the most, and how I should start preparing (I still have a bit of time) if that's alright

Definitely start to think about your personal statement. Best way to start is just to take a broad topic (something you have an interest in) and just try different ways of delving a bit deeper into different parts of it; whether it be a book, MOOC or even just a TED talk. The tutors want to see someone who is genuinely interested in what they are speaking about and so dont just list things you have done but instead show how one question you asked led you to another and along the way show all the things you have done putting an emphasis on your interpretation of it. There are some examples of statements of TSR to get an idea of how to structure it but there is plenty of time so just get stuck in! At the end of the day the more niche and interesting bits of science you have looked at the more options you have when it comes to writing.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Marzini
Definitely start to think about your personal statement. Best way to start is just to take a broad topic (something you have an interest in) and just try different ways of delving a bit deeper into different parts of it; whether it be a book, MOOC or even just a TED talk. The tutors want to see someone who is genuinely interested in what they are speaking about and so dont just list things you have done but instead show how one question you asked led you to another and along the way show all the things you have done putting an emphasis on your interpretation of it. There are some examples of statements of TSR to get an idea of how to structure it but there is plenty of time so just get stuck in! At the end of the day the more niche and interesting bits of science you have looked at the more options you have when it comes to writing.

Thank you so much! That's really helpful, I've already been doing an online undergrad course which will hopefully help, and I read books sometimes but biochemistry books tend to be quite dense so take a while to finish. How much do GCSE grades matter for application? I've not got my result back yet of course but I was wondering how much I should worry about that
just checked out your website and its super cute! keep up the good work and all the best for your results x
Reply 9
Thank you so much! That's really helpful, I've already been doing an online undergrad course which will hopefully help, and I read books sometimes but biochemistry books tend to be quite dense so take a while to finish. How much do GCSE grades matter for application? I've not got my result back yet of course but I was wondering how much I should worry about that

They are considered and will make up part of your application but most focus will be on predicted alevels and your interviews but obviously good GCSEs will help you get an interview

Quick Reply

Latest