The Student Room Group

A level combination for best unis

Hey guys,
I’m deciding my a levels for next year and idk if I should do english lit or maths (and honestly I’ve been thinking of btec creative media too). I’ll be doing one of them alongside history, psychology and french.
However, when I ask people, mostly teachers for advice half of them will tell me to do maths because it’ll broaden my studies and show unis I can write essays and work with numbers, while the other half tells me to do english as it compliments very well with history and even psychology+french.
I would like to go to a top uni, maybe Oxbridge, to study history and a language so neither of those subject are essential however both are recommended.
Is there a difference in taking very similar essay subjects and taking essay subjects and maths?
Do unis really care? Am I going to gain more skills doing maths?
Also will I be able to compete with other students if I pick creative media as a fourth subject?
Reply 1
Original post by yak8
Hey guys,
I’m deciding my a levels for next year and idk if I should do english lit or maths (and honestly I’ve been thinking of btec creative media too). I’ll be doing one of them alongside history, psychology and french.
However, when I ask people, mostly teachers for advice half of them will tell me to do maths because it’ll broaden my studies and show unis I can write essays and work with numbers, while the other half tells me to do english as it compliments very well with history and even psychology+french.
I would like to go to a top uni, maybe Oxbridge, to study history and a language so neither of those subject are essential however both are recommended.
Is there a difference in taking very similar essay subjects and taking essay subjects and maths?
Also will I be able to compete with other students if I pick creative media as a fourth subject?

Heya!

What are you thinking of doing in the future? Perhaps look at Oxbridge website for specific courses and see what they recommend picking in terms of entry requirements? If it helps, you can use uniguide alvl explorer for it :h: There is so much more in Oxbridge application, so I would also recommend looking at this use Oxbridge blog to get more familiar with the application process!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by yak8
Hey guys,

If you check the entry requirements on the course page of uni websites, it will state what the essential and recommended subjects are. So for Oxford, for example, you would need AAA with a language being a required subject and history a recommended subject:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/history-and-modern-languages

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/history-and-modern-languages

You don't need to do four A levels - unis only require three and you don't get bonus points for doing extra. AAA will always look better than AABB. So stick with your choice of history, psychology and French.
Just take 3 A levels. If you want to do more then take an EPQ as well and get a job or volunteer.

A 4th A level isn’t going to help your application. Especially if you’re not even that interested in either of the possible courses you’re considering.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Just take 3 A levels. If you want to do more then take an EPQ as well and get a job or volunteer.

A 4th A level isn’t going to help your application. Especially if you’re not even that interested in either of the possible courses you’re considering.

That’s the thing I’m interested in both
I agree, EPQ is a lot of work but is great for talking about in your CV and also in interviews for Oxbridge. If you like both subjects maybe do an AS if your school/ college offers it but unis only look at your top 3 grades and if you're looking at a top uni then 3 strong A Levels and super curriculars will be more crucial than 4 A Levels, one being random. Totally up to you though, this would just be my thoughts and good luck with your GCSE's!
Original post by PQ

Reply 6
Original post by RachelRambo
I agree, EPQ is a lot of work but is great for talking about in your CV and also in interviews for Oxbridge. If you like both subjects maybe do an AS if your school/ college offers it but unis only look at your top 3 grades and if you're looking at a top uni then 3 strong A Levels and super curriculars will be more crucial than 4 A Levels, one being random. Totally up to you though, this would just be my thoughts and good luck with your GCSE's!

Thanks, I finally decided what to do. I’ll stick with 4 alevels ( history, psychology, french and English). If I don’t like english then I’ll do AS maths as that’s the only AS my school offers.

Quick Reply

Latest