The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

GenZ, social media

If you are a GenZ (born between 1995 and 2010) what social media do you think is the most suitable for being a (mainly academic and educational purpose) platform to engage students with their department and improve communication (with schoolmates and professors) to create a greater sense of belonging? (where current or future students can ask questions and discuss together, professors can pass on latest information, etc)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
probably tiktok and Instagram. but tiktok would be more for funny content and trends etc and then insta for the more informative things :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Spelunker
probably tiktok and Instagram. but tiktok would be more for funny content and trends etc and then insta for the more informative things :smile:

Thank u for replying! I agree~ but will it be weird if professors use tiktok for educational purposes?
Original post by janiceidalin
If you are a GenZ (born between 1995 and 2010) what social media do you think is the most suitable for being a platform to engage students with their department and improve communication to create a greater sense of belonging?

Department? If you want to familiarise a small group of students online and they know each other in a professional setting, then I would recommend Discord. It can be formal or informal depending on your intentions, and it is less intrusive than other platforms like Snapchat or Instagram regarding students' personal lives.

WhatsApp may be fine as well.
If you are a GenZ (born between 1995 and 2010) what social media do you think is the most suitable for being a platform to engage students with their department and improve communication to create a greater sense of belonging?

Instagram is great - not just because of how many students use it but the variety of features you can use on there! TikTok is also great - as long as you keep up with trends and post regularly.
Reply 5
Original post by SagaciousSag
Department? If you want to familiarise a small group of students online and they know each other in a professional setting, then I would recommend Discord. It can be formal or informal depending on your intentions, and it is less intrusive than other platforms like Snapchat or Instagram regarding students' personal lives.

WhatsApp may be fine as well.

ty for replying! oh so u mean a private group chat between classmates?
But what if a more public platform for students to communicate with either students or professors, professors can pass on some information about courses, events, placements, etc. and students can comment and discuss different stuffs.
ty for replying! oh so u mean a private group chat between classmates?
But what if a more public platform for students to communicate with either students or professors, professors can pass on some information about courses, events, placements, etc. and students can comment and discuss different stuffs.

I think Discord would be great for that. You can create a server (which is the massive group for everybody), make different channels (mini chats) that can be dedicated to certain things like courses or events, and you can change your nickname so that it is clear who is a professor and who is a student.

There's more information here about it.
Reply 7
Original post by Ocean.Waves
Instagram is great - not just because of how many students use it but the variety of features you can use on there! TikTok is also great - as long as you keep up with trends and post regularly.

Ty for replying!
But I feel like Insta and tiktok might not be the best place for students to ask questions and discuss together.
Reply 8
Ty for replying!
But I feel like Insta and tiktok might not be the best place for students to ask questions and discuss together.

Why? Too informal?

If you want a more formal environment then rather than using social media use MS teams maybe? A lot of VLEs used by universities have the ability to set up discussion boards which can be useful (think canvas, BB etc)

The idea of a discord server sounds pretty cool too, I imagine many would be familiar with it already.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SagaciousSag
I think Discord would be great for that. You can create a server (which is the massive group for everybody), make different channels (mini chats) that can be dedicated to certain things like courses or events, and you can change your nickname so that it is clear who is a professor and who is a student.

There's more information here about it.

I see Thank u! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending