The Student Room Group

Rules against using chatGPT or similar on TSR?

I was wondering if there are any rules against users copy/pasting content from AI language models on TSR? My concern is about Study Help but this could other areas of the site.

On a few occasions I've seen posts replying to questions in Study Help that look a lot like they've been copied from ChatGPT. These kind of posts would probably already break the rules in the maths forum for example because they are generally full solutions or are too detailed. Plus they often contain mistakes and can cause confusion.

So I was thinking about updating the maths forum posting guidelines to stop users using bots like this but I was wondering what TSR's policy is first.

Here's what ChatGPT thinks:

There should be rules against ChatGPT

There should not be rules against ChatGPT

@Evil Homer @Lemur14
Reply 1
Original post by Notnek
I was wondering if there are any rules against users copy/pasting content from AI language models on TSR? My concern is about Study Help but this could other areas of the site.

On a few occasions I've seen posts replying to questions in Study Help that look a lot like they've been copied from ChatGPT. These kind of posts would probably already break the rules in the maths forum for example because they are generally full solutions or are too detailed. Plus they often contain mistakes and can cause confusion.

So I was thinking about updating the maths forum posting guidelines to stop users using bots like this but I was wondering what TSR's policy is first.

Here's what ChatGPT thinks:

There should be rules against ChatGPT

There should not be rules against ChatGPT

@Evil Homer @Lemur14

The main use Ive seen of them is from tutors/essay mills pretending to answer questions in order to advertise services at the end. Its a lazy way to appear to offer "help" in different subjects. The maths ones stand out like a sore thumb - 12 laborious algebra steps instead of recognising a 5 : 12 : 13 triple and simply writing down the answer.
(edited 10 months ago)
@Notnek

I suppose the main issue I see is enforcing, being 100% sure that a comment or post has been AI generated can be very difficult. As a platform should be wary of AI generated content. Ideally long term we would find a way for it to be accurately flagged so users know exactly who/what they are speaking to.

I am happy for us to update guidelines in the maths forum for the time being to ask users to accurately flag if content they are posting has been generated by AI (as you have done above) but I certianly don't think we want to do anything more excessive at this stage both from a usefulness point of view or an ability to accurately flag and moderate.

I would be keen to see some examples if you can find them/next time they come up of these answers and the mistakes in them?
Reply 3
Original post by Evil Homer
@Notnek

I suppose the main issue I see is enforcing, being 100% sure that a comment or post has been AI generated can be very difficult. As a platform should be wary of AI generated content. Ideally long term we would find a way for it to be accurately flagged so users know exactly who/what they are speaking to.

Yes I think sometimes it would be obvious to a subject expert that a post is AI generated but not at all obvious to a moderator who isn't as familiar with the subject.

I am happy for us to update guidelines in the maths forum for the time being to ask users to accurately flag if content they are posting has been generated by AI (as you have done above) but I certianly don't think we want to do anything more excessive at this stage both from a usefulness point of view or an ability to accurately flag and moderate.

I can add a little bit extra to the maths guidelines about full solutions since AI generated posts should be discouraged for similar reasons. This thread is more me wondering if an AI generated post would be reportable but it sounds like they should not be at this stage?

I would be keen to see some examples if you can find them/next time they come up of these answers and the mistakes in them?

Here's a recent example of an (almost certainly) AI generated post:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98611721&postcount=6

The AI has turned a simple 2 mark problem into 11 steps, which is not helpful for an A Level student and is more targeted at someone who is an algebra beginner.

The same user has other AI generated posts.
Reply 4
I see the concern and acknowledge where you are coming from, but my people you need to chill out don't take life so seriously Ai was introduced to help and make life a bit easier. This goes without saying nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to use it.
Original post by vokler
I see the concern and acknowledge where you are coming from, but my people you need to chill out don't take life so seriously Ai was introduced to help and make life a bit easier. This goes without saying nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to use it.

It's not making life any easier if you're pasting GPT answers and other users assume you are speaking with some degree of authority.

If I don't know the answer to a Q, I just don't reply.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
It's not making life any easier if you're pasting GPT answers and other users assume you are speaking with some degree of authority.

If I don't know the answer to a Q, I just don't reply.

Nobody really knows the answer to every question otherwise you wouldn't be in this forum no offense
Reply 7
Original post by vokler

I think the maths forum is the best place to get maths help online partly due to some of the rules that are in place, for example the no solutions rule. Some helpers have been volunteering on this site for many years so I hope you can understand why I and others care a lot about the rules and content posted by users.
Original post by vokler
Nobody really knows the answer to every question otherwise you wouldn't be in this forum no offense

No - nobody knows the answer to every question but posting AI content as your own without flagging it as such isn't actually helping other users. Especially if it's giving inaccurate or over complex answers.

If a post is unanswered then it appears in the unanswered threads list where many users who try to answer questions look. If you answer with an AI generated response that doesn't actually help then you havent helped the OP AND you've removed the threads from the unanswered list and reduced the chances that someone who can help will find it.
Reply 9
Original post by Notnek
I think the maths forum is the best place to get maths help online partly due to some of the rules that are in place, for example the no solutions rule. Some helpers have been volunteering on this site for many years so I hope you can understand why I and others care a lot about the rules and content posted by users.

I understand and appreciate your perspective.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
No - nobody knows the answer to every question but posting AI content as your own without flagging it as such isn't actually helping other users. Especially if it's giving inaccurate or over complex answers.

If a post is unanswered then it appears in the unanswered threads list where many users who try to answer questions look. If you answer with an AI generated response that doesn't actually help then you havent helped the OP AND you've removed the threads from the unanswered list and reduced the chances that someone who can help will find it.

I completely respect and acknowledge the importance of these rules and the efforts of the dedicated volunteers.
I think this might come across as more genuine if it wasn't also being spilled out of chatgpt.

#justsaying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending