The Student Room Group

57% AI generated score

Hello guys I'm feaking out. My professor failed me for a 57% AI-generated score however the only thing I did was use AI to fix any grammar issues and make it sound smarter in a way. Although some rewording was done I wrote the essay and it was my work. I'm really afraid of her trying to report me to my school and I get banned. Need help been doing my research and even TurnItIn says anything about 90% should be investigated but 57% just for grammar help seems ridiculous. Help, please
Original post by blanca.lazo2003
Hello guys I'm feaking out. My professor failed me for a 57% AI-generated score however the only thing I did was use AI to fix any grammar issues and make it sound smarter in a way. Although some rewording was done I wrote the essay and it was my work. I'm really afraid of her trying to report me to my school and I get banned. Need help been doing my research and even TurnItIn says anything about 90% should be investigated but 57% just for grammar help seems ridiculous. Help, please

If you're using AI to fix "grammar issues", "make it sound smarter" and do "some rewording" then it's not your own work. Have you not been warned of the consequences of using AI to "polish" your essays?
Reply 2
This is cut and dry plagiarism. A huge part of a degree is learning to write properly to present information and arguments clearly for digestion by third party readers. If you can't do that then you should be failing, frankly.

If was her, I'd have already passed this on to the examinations officer as academic malpractice. Wise up.
Original post by gjd800
This is cut and dry plagiarism. A huge part of a degree is learning to write properly to present information and arguments clearly for digestion by third party readers. If you can't do that then you should be failing, frankly.

If was her, I'd have already passed this on to the examinations officer as academic malpractice. Wise up.

Yeah. The only somewhat similar tech I can see people use for this kind of thing is Grammarly (and it’s approved DSA).

I see lots of people use Chat GPT lately, some people not getting caught it seems.
what kind of ai did you use? ig u could argue its just like using grammarly
Reply 5

The question is: why did you need ChatGPT to 'fix any grammar issues', when you have a perfectly good grammar checker on Word? Fixing grammar issues does not require generative AI like ChatGPT - which doesn't just 'fix grammar issues' but rewrites text from scratch, hence it is 'generative' as opposed to 'corrective' AI. To fix grammar issues stick to grammar check on Word and you can't go wrong.

As for 'making it sound smarter in a way', using AI to rewrite stuff doesn't make it sound smarter to your professors - it just makes it read sterile, stiflingly predictable, and like you've probably used AI. Your professors have been reading thousands of student essays over many years, they know what it looks like, and they can see when you've used AI even in the cases where they can't prove it - consider how you can intuitively tell when something is CGI in a film rather than actually there; it just looks fake. It's the same with ChatGPT. Using AI won't get you any brownie points with the marker. Even if they don't have concrete proof, it's not going to impress them, it's going to have the opposite effect. We want to see you thinking for yourself, not robotic polished banality. Writing is a form of thinking, not something you can outsource to a machine. Aspire to be good at writing, aspire to be good at thinking. Take pride in trying to be good at it. Give yourself a kick up the backside and don't do it again.
Reply 6
Original post by steamedclams
what kind of ai did you use? ig u could argue its just like using grammarly

Afraid not. Grammar checking isn't flagged as AI generated; only AI-generated text is flagged. A grammar checker leaves the basic sentence structure and word selection the same, just correcting mistakes of tense, voice, conjugation, etc., Generative AI generates the sentence structure and word choice. AI detectors focus on the underlying sentence structure and word selection. Grammarly has both a grammar checking corrective feature, and generative ('paraphrasing'/rewriting) features. The former is fine, but the latter isn't. The former won't be flagged, the latter will. And if you get caught using generative AI it's no good claiming you just used grammarly to check grammar - it won't wash...
Original post by DR_C
Afraid not. Grammar checking isn't flagged as AI generated; only AI-generated text is flagged. A grammar checker leaves the basic sentence structure and word selection the same, just correcting mistakes of tense, voice, conjugation, etc., Generative AI generates the sentence structure and word choice. AI detectors focus on the underlying sentence structure and word selection. Grammarly has both a grammar checking corrective feature, and generative ('paraphrasing'/rewriting) features. The former is fine, but the latter isn't. The former won't be flagged, the latter will. And if you get caught using generative AI it's no good claiming you just used grammarly to check grammar - it won't wash...

ik it's a little silly that most universities muddle up the two. i think grammarly should be blanket banned considering that it can also be used to generate stuff from prompts, and completely change the 'tone'.
Reply 8

So the lesson learned here is stop using AI.

It isn't intelligent and is easy to spot - some of my students used ChatGPT in their work. It can be spotted a mile away.

You have almost certainly signed a contract saying that all work you submit should be your own work

You have also no doubt been warned in lectures or tutorials that you should not use AI.

So let this be a lesson for you. Fingers crossed they allow you to continue. Admitting your mistake and being truly sorry might help remedy your situation and then never do it again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending