The Student Room Group

Changing courses and unis in third year

Guys would you recommend changing courses and unis in 3rd year because you do not like your course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can you afford to pay the first year’s tuition fees for another degree subject if SFE refuse to finance it?
They finance (the length of the degree plus one year) less the time already studied.
So if you want to start another 3 year degree they will only finance 2 out of the 3, and you will have to finance the first year of your new course.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by python147816
Guys would you recommend changing courses and unis in 3rd year because you do not like your course?

It's better to finish off your degree and move on especially after making it this far and because of all the tuition fees tbh.

Bit late for that, at a stretch I could possibly agree to leaving during year two.
Reply 4
Original post by Bean_cat
It's better to finish off your degree and move on especially after making it this far and because of all the tuition fees tbh.

but what if you won’t amount to nothing and have made no friends
Reply 5

Why would you in that case be better somewhere else?
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp
Can you afford to pay the first year’s tuition fees for another degree subject if SFE refuse to finance it?
They finance (the length of the degree plus one year) less the time already studied.
So if you want to start another 3 year degree they will only finance 2 out of the 3, and you will have to finance the first year of your new course.

how much could that go up to
Reply 7
Original post by Euapp
Why would you in that case be better somewhere else?

no like i feel like i’m not gonna be anything in the future with my degree but i can go into another one and get something out of it
Reply 8

There is still a chance to make new friends at uni regardless of what year you are in. Through class, study groups, societies, uni events etc. At uni friends are an added bonus, but the degree is a main priority, I highly doubt that you will 'amount to nothing' you just need to put your head down and work hard for a few months and you will graduate with a degree and won't have to look back at uni. You still have the potential to do well and it's not worth throwing all that away. I wish you the best of luck with this.
Reply 9
how much could that go up to

Fees for one year are normally £ 9250. You’d have to enquire as to whether you’d get a maintenance loan or not for the year as well.
Reply 10
no like i feel like i’m not gonna be anything in the future with my degree but i can go into another one and get something out of it

Could you transfer directly into the second year of another degree course either where you are or elsewhere?
As for making friends, it’s not too late. Start participating in some societies or study groups. There is no need to change uni to find a friend group.
Reply 11
Original post by Bean_cat
There is still a chance to make new friends at uni regardless of what year you are in. Through class, study groups, societies, uni events etc. At uni friends are an added bonus, but the degree is a main priority, I highly doubt that you will 'amount to nothing' you just need to put your head down and work hard for a few months and you will graduate with a degree and won't have to look back at uni. You still have the potential to do well and it's not worth throwing all that away. I wish you the best of luck with this.

its very hard man, the people im my course don’t even wanna be around me which makes it worse, ik its very late to start again but i’m only 19 going on 20 so its better late than never
No
Reply 13
Original post by LawStudent456
No

why not
Reply 14
its very hard man, the people im my course don’t even wanna be around me which makes it worse, ik its very late to start again but i’m only 19 going on 20 so its better late than never

Have you applied anywhere else or looked into transferring. It’s almost the end of this year’s application cycle and many courses are already full.
Have you spoken to your tutor about how you are feeling?
Reply 15

I'm sorry to hear that, can I ask what you're studying currently and what you wanted to switch to? Don't say that it's late you're starting to make me feel old lol, I'm going to be finishing my degree by the age of 22, I took a gap year before uni but you're definitely not late in terms of academics so you can still easily pursue what you want to even after completing this degree. I know a guy on my course who is doing his second degree and it is normal to start uni at older ages too.
Reply 16
Original post by Euapp
Have you applied anywhere else or looked into transferring. It’s almost the end of this year’s application cycle and many courses are already full.
Have you spoken to your tutor about how you are feeling?

i asked one and they said i cant get in through clearing if there are spaces
why not

You’ve spent to much time and money on it
Reply 18
i asked one and they said i cant get in through clearing if there are spaces

So what do you want to study, and what are you studying now?
Reply 19
Original post by Euapp
So what do you want to study, and what are you studying now?

i’m studying business management but want to study sports science to get into physiotherapy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending