The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy 2024

Hello, I am interested in applying for a physiotherapy degree for entry in 2024, preferably at Sheffield Hallam. I just wanted to ask about the acceptable entry requirements because I have a rather unique educational history.

I'm a mature student who possesses a Foundation Degree (FdSc) in Exercise Science, with modules revolving around anatomy and biomechanics. I did very poorly when I was a child at GCSE level and only have D's in Science, a D in Maths, and a C in English. And the Level 3 I studied at college that allowed me to progress to a Foundation Degree does not accrue UCAS tariff points.

However, I have shadowed physio and occupational therapists in the past and have a lot of work experience. I am employed and by the time of application will have 1 full years experience working as a care assistant as well as being a private carer for family in the past, and I work within a multidisciplinary team alongside physiotherapists, occupational therapists, and speech-and-language therapists in a patient facing environment.

My question is, would universities welcome and accept an application from me despite my lack of A levels and poor GCSE results when factoring in the relevant foundation degree I possess, and the extensive amount of direct work experience I have in a patient facing care environment?
It sounds like you've got a really good base to work with, but the only people who can answer your question with some confidence would be the university admissions departments. Your experience sounds perfect, but a large component would be the academic side of things. I would recommend contacting the universities you're interested in applying to (go onto the physiotherapy degree page for each university and find a suitable contact/email on there, there's usually one towards the bottom and in my experience are happy to answer any questions). Ask your question directly to them, and they should be able to advise you on whether they will accept the foundation degree or if they think you might need to do some additional work like an access course. The good news is if you do need to do anything, now is the perfect time to be starting something for a 2024 entry! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
You could do a foundation year in physiotherapy or access courses in health sciences
Reply 3
Original post by Carshaa
Hello, I am interested in applying for a physiotherapy degree for entry in 2024, preferably at Sheffield Hallam. I just wanted to ask about the acceptable entry requirements because I have a rather unique educational history.

I'm a mature student who possesses a Foundation Degree (FdSc) in Exercise Science, with modules revolving around anatomy and biomechanics. I did very poorly when I was a child at GCSE level and only have D's in Science, a D in Maths, and a C in English. And the Level 3 I studied at college that allowed me to progress to a Foundation Degree does not accrue UCAS tariff points.

However, I have shadowed physio and occupational therapists in the past and have a lot of work experience. I am employed and by the time of application will have 1 full years experience working as a care assistant as well as being a private carer for family in the past, and I work within a multidisciplinary team alongside physiotherapists, occupational therapists, and speech-and-language therapists in a patient facing environment.

My question is, would universities welcome and accept an application from me despite my lack of A levels and poor GCSE results when factoring in the relevant foundation degree I possess, and the extensive amount of direct work experience I have in a patient facing care environment?

Have you considered the physio degree apprenticeship? If your workplace is the NHS they might fund it for you and you can continue to work and study. The entry is also then a bit more flexible if you have employer support? Just a thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending