The Student Room Group

Studying an MBA after studying a degree in sociology

Hello People,

I'm from Hong Kong, and I will be commercing my A-Level studies in Cambridge coming Sept 2023. I did an entry math exam, and I failed. It's ironic that as an Asian, I failed, but I really hate maths.

The sixth form college recommends me to do AL Sociology, Business, and Geo. I have a strong desire to study at a great business school, but with my current AL choices, doing a Sociology degree at more reputable schools such as LSE would be a better choice (suggested by the international officer). Will doing an MBA after this be worth it? Or should I choose to pursue business undergrad at a lower ranking uni?

Thanks!
So I'm Chinese too and I know in Chinese culture choosing unis is about the reputation and presitge of the uni. In the UK, what matters most is the ranking of the course (not the uni!) so for example for dentistry the best in the world is currently KCL and not Havard (!!!!). I don't do either subject but consider the course in relation to the overall course rankings:
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/business-and-management-studies

Some courses may not require maths a level! But ultimately its up to you.
Hi Marcytchu :smile:

Thank you for your question.

According to what you said, it looks like you still have a lot of time improve your weaknesses and study what you think is missing. No need to worry that much about far future. The most important thing to keep in mind is to always follow your career goals. According to my experience it is better to focus on your passion but to also find balance between what will secure you good future financially and what you really like. Try not to limit yourself according to what you think now is missing. Everything can be improved with time and sometimes we even underestimate ourselves. These days we live in a world of unlimited possibilities and we can surely do what we want.

There are many factors that can decide which university you want to choose. Cranfield offers MBA courses which help their students develop robust leadership skills, and a broad range of management tools and techniques which make them in high demand in the fast-moving world of business, where management skills are often at a premium. Also, another important factor might be employability. Cranfield offers career and employability services and has amazing results for students that are about to finish their studies.

The entry requirement for Cranfield Executive MBA courses are following:

-A minimum of three years' post-qualification work experience
-A good degree and / or professional qualification
-Applicants who do not have a degree are welcomed provided they can demonstrate high levels of achievement, exceptional career progression or evidence of leadership potential.

So at the moment, I can wish you Good luck with your A-levels and believe you can do, what you really want. We should always follow our dreams :smile:

Lucie,
PhD Student
Cranfield University
Reply 3
Original post by toothysmile
So I'm Chinese too and I know in Chinese culture choosing unis is about the reputation and presitge of the uni. In the UK, what matters most is the ranking of the course (not the uni!) so for example for dentistthry the best in the world is currently KCL and not Havard (!!!!). I don't do either subject but consider the course in relation to the overall course rankings:
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/business-and-management-studies

Some courses may not require maths a level! But ultimately its up to you.

thanks mate! My parents are quite strict lol
Reply 4
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi Marcytchu :smile:

Thank you for your question.

According to what you said, it looks like you still have a lot of time improve your weaknesses and study what you think is missing. No need to worry that much about far future. The most important thing to keep in mind is to always follow your career goals. According to my experience it is better to focus on your passion but to also find balance between what will secure you good future financially and what you really like. Try not to limit yourself according to what you think now is missing. Everything can be improved with time and sometimes we even underestimate ourselves. These days we live in a world of unlimited possibilities and we can surely do what we want.

There are many factors that can decide which university you want to choose. Cranfield offers MBA courses which help their students develop robust leadership skills, and a broad range of management tools and techniques which make them in high demand in the fast-moving world of business, where management skills are often at a premium. Also, another important factor might be employability. Cranfield offers career and employability services and has amazing results for students that are about to finish their studies.

The entry requirement for Cranfield Executive MBA courses are following:

-A minimum of three years' post-qualification work experience
-A good degree and / or professional qualification
-Applicants who do not have a degree are welcomed provided they can demonstrate high levels of achievement, exceptional career progression or evidence of leadership potential.

So at the moment, I can wish you Good luck with your A-levels and believe you can do, what you really want. We should always follow our dreams :smile:

Lucie,
PhD Student
Cranfield University

Thanks Lucie <3

Quick Reply

Latest