The Student Room Group

University Worries.

Hi there,

I'm currently doing a Filmmaking degree, but worry it isn't for me. My passion is History and English. However, I couldn't imagine myself working as a Historian and so on. I really enjoyed A-Level Lit, Media and Sociology... and thought I could use my knowledge when making documentaries, films and so on. I'm stuck on what to do....

I've fell in love with script writing (Apart of my course), but that only make me yearn for learning about English.

I have so many passions, and It makes me upset when I see people doing those sort of Academic subjects. I'd say I'm an intelligent individual, but doing Filmmaking - an extremely vocational degree, makes me feel stupid?
Reply 1
I have a sister who studied about videography, photography and some nascent form of film making from a very local institute in India. I majored in English Literature, and studied Political Science & History as part of my Bachelors, worked for 10-12 years, before going to study Organisation Psychology and loved every ounce of the course work. At one point during all these years I realised that everything we learn has an applied and a theoretical component. If you love theory, are there any extra library books or research papers available to you that you can read to learn about the historical and aesthetic aspects of film making to help you appreciate the subject more? What about learning more in depth about script writing, characterisation, literary instruments etc.? I can see how this may appeal to your English learning background. Also, perhaps learn the theory of the subjects on which you want to make these documentaries?

The authors Robert Greene along with Malcolm Gladwell in their books called Mastery and Tipping Point respectively say that once we complete a certain number of years in a field, our ability to appreciate the subtle nuances of that field intensifies. So be rest assured that eventually (after about a few years of intense practice) this is going to come about, but the initial bit is always a little difficult in anything that we start. You may want to watch this for inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4v_34RRCeE&pp=ygUUUm9iZXJ0IEdyZW5lIG1hc3Rlcnk%3D

P.S. When I was studying my MSc for the first few months or so, I often considered changing to MBA or worried about how it was all wrong for me or that I was wasting my time, effort, money etc, often didn't follow lectures, found papers dense, came home crying after class until one evening I made a decision to stay put and plough through and I am glad that I did. I hope something will transform for you too!
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest