The Student Room Group

Need advice for applying to a Chemistry degree. Please help.

I recently got my predicted grades back for my A Levels (Chemistry, Biology and Psychology) and they are A* (in chemistry) A,A.

I’ve really enjoyed doing Chemistry this year and I would be interested in doing it at Uni. But there is a problem:

Most university courses for chemistry require you to have a grade 6 in GCSE maths to do, I achieved a grade 5 because I only had 5 or 6 months to learn it along with my other 8 subjects.

So would you recommend I retake my GCSE maths next year or do you think Universities would be considerate over the fact that I had such a small amount of time to do my GCSEs in?

Please help.
Original post by Vinisman
I recently got my predicted grades back for my A Levels (Chemistry, Biology and Psychology) and they are A* (in chemistry) A,A.

I’ve really enjoyed doing Chemistry this year and I would be interested in doing it at Uni. But there is a problem:

Most university courses for chemistry require you to have a grade 6 in GCSE maths to do, I achieved a grade 5 because I only had 5 or 6 months to learn it along with my other 8 subjects.

So would you recommend I retake my GCSE maths next year or do you think Universities would be considerate over the fact that I had such a small amount of time to do my GCSEs in?

Please help.

If the universities you are interested in specify you need a grade 6 in GCSE maths, you should absolutely retake GCSE maths. You should be able to access plenty of support and materials to help you do so.

Otherwise, don’t bother - your A level grades should be more than good enough to indicate you are good enough to be accepted into a chemistry course at uni.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
If the universities you are interested in specify you need a grade 6 in GCSE maths, you should absolutely retake GCSE maths. You should be able to access plenty of support and materials to help you do so.

Otherwise, don’t bother - your A level grades should be more than good enough to indicate you are good enough to be accepted into a chemistry course at uni.

Which would you personally recommend out of the two?
Original post by Vinisman
Which would you personally recommend out of the two?

As above, it depends on whether the unis you really want to go to require you to have a grade 6 in GCSE maths.

If you pick only unis that don’t specify that you need a GCSE grade 6 in maths, then don’t bother resitting it,

If you pick even one that specifically says you need a GCSE grade 6 in maths, then you absolutely must resit.

I’d say have a look at Cardiff, Bath and Southampton, as iirc none of those three require a 6 in GCSE maths
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Hi, there are some universities that don’t look at gcse grades or require less than a 6 in gcse maths so unless you really want to go to a uni that does require the maths grade I wouldn’t retake it as your predicted grades are clear indicators that you’re doing well

Here are some universities you may want to look at if you decide to not resist :smile:
Uni of York
Uni of Liverpool
Uni of Warwick
Uni of Nottingham
Uni of Lincoln
Loughborough university
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending