The Student Room Group

A level and university advice

I am in the half term year 12. I am currently do maths, physics, chemistry and economics. In my first tests I received 50% in maths, 46% in physics, 56% in chemistry and 54% in economics. In the future I hope to study physics or economics at university. Do you think I should drop a subject, as doing 4 is not very helpful?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Kingdragon
I am in the half term year 12. I am currently do maths, physics, chemistry and economics. In my first tests I received 50% in maths, 46% in physics, 56% in chemistry and 54% in economics. In the future I hope to study physics or economics at university. Do you think I should drop a subject, as doing 4 is not very helpful?

Obviously it’s ultimately your choice, but doing 4 will be difficult. If it’s hard now, in year 13 it will be even harder, particularly as your A-levels are some of the most difficult!! Most universities will not care if you do 3. In my opinion it would be better to get 3 A* than 4 As or 3 As and a B. If I were you I’d drop one 👍
Reply 2
Original post by Lightningparrot
Obviously it’s ultimately your choice, but doing 4 will be difficult. If it’s hard now, in year 13 it will be even harder, particularly as your A-levels are some of the most difficult!! Most universities will not care if you do 3. In my opinion it would be better to get 3 A* than 4 As or 3 As and a B. If I were you I’d drop one 👍

But, which one?
But, which one?

Economics is good for essay writing, so that would be be a good A-level for that skill, which you will need at university. You also say you want to study Physics further, so keep that. Maths is also valuable and will aid physics. I would go with Chemistry personally, but then again I wouldn’t want to be the ultimate factor in your decision making. These marks were your first tests, they don’t mean that much in the grand scheme of A-levels, so maybe don’t base your decision based on that . As I said, it is up to you, and your degree plans may change in the next year. Continuing with 4 would keep your options very open, but it is incredibly hard and year 13 will be difficult. But yes, Chemistry appears to be the more stand alone A-level you are doing, and thus would probablybe the most viable to drop. But please make your own decision regarding this, you know what you enjoy and what you are good at.
Reply 4
Look at the entry requirements for Economics degrees at a range of different Unis - and don't forget joint-subject degrees - and see which A level subjects are 'required' or 'preferred'.

For most Unis its usually only Maths that is essential - you dont actually need A level Economics - and so it would make sense to drop your weakest subject. Remember AAA will always look better than ABBB - and that could cost you a Uni place.
Reply 5

Definitely drop a subject as doing 4 offers no advantage, unless you do FM and are applying for a course that requires it, which you are not. Drop the one that you think you won’t need for uni, or the one that you are weakest in. It’s odd that you want to do Physics at uni, yet that is the one you got the lowest grade in.

Hi there

I would recommend looking at entry requirements for physics/ economics at Universities you are interested in applying for.

Most Universities would not require 4 A levels. I think instead of trying to juggle 4 subjects, it may be better to do 3. This could allow you to get higher grades, which would allow you to get into Universities with higher rankings.

Regrading dropping an A level subject: I think since you are planning to do either physics or economics, do not drop these A levels. I can see maths potentially being helpful for both physics and economics. Though you may also like to consider which subject you are finding more difficult/ interesting etc.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest