The Student Room Group

did bad in my year 12 mocks

I did really bad in my mocks I think it was bc I struggled with timing and now I have extra timing so that will probably help but I passed two of my a levels and failed another one normally in my class tests I get an a*, and im stuck on a c for two of my other subjects however im quite close to a b for both I and I think ignoring my mocks is there still a chance I can go to a Russel uni I do an epq as well which I have an extension for but is there a possibility I could be predicted a, a, b for my a levels with my mocks results im supposed to have a meeting about in Monday and im so terrified because I really want to move to a different city for uni and I think I may have ruined my chance now I have resists in September though but I think it was partially due to my mental health that I did bad a lot of stuff has occurred during my mocks and idk if I should mention it to the head of sixth from who wants to have a meeting with me. minus my mocks I have quite good work experience but I'm aiming to get a summer job as well so I can save up but other than that I can just focus on revising the entire summer holiday I know it's practically my won fault but I feel so discouraged and in general I just really lack motivation
does anyone have any tips for ocr English lit as well please?
hi,
definitely talk to your teachers if you feel like mental health was an issue and let them know your goals for uni. often if you have evidence of doing well throughout the year they can alter your predicted grade. if you have resits that’s great because you have another chance to improve.
i do a level english. my exam board is wjec but my top tip would be to read exemplar A* essays and just get to know how they write. i got an A* in my recent mocks and i defo feel it was all down to reading model essays. also ask your teachers for feedback on how to improve your essays.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by amnajsjkkj
I did really bad in my mocks I think it was bc I struggled with timing and now I have extra timing so that will probably help but I passed two of my a levels and failed another one normally in my class tests I get an a*, and im stuck on a c for two of my other subjects however im quite close to a b for both I and I think ignoring my mocks is there still a chance I can go to a Russel uni I do an epq as well which I have an extension for but is there a possibility I could be predicted a, a, b for my a levels with my mocks results im supposed to have a meeting about in Monday and im so terrified because I really want to move to a different city for uni and I think I may have ruined my chance now I have resists in September though but I think it was partially due to my mental health that I did bad a lot of stuff has occurred during my mocks and idk if I should mention it to the head of sixth from who wants to have a meeting with me. minus my mocks I have quite good work experience but I'm aiming to get a summer job as well so I can save up but other than that I can just focus on revising the entire summer holiday I know it's practically my won fault but I feel so discouraged and in general I just really lack motivation

I really struggled with 2 subjects in year 12 as well. I did A level Law, Literature and History. In law I didn't really struggle but in both lit and history I was constantly getting Cs. However in the most recent mock before my actual A levels I got As in both subjects. As long as you continue to work hard you'll get the grades. For Literature I did edexcel, but one of my biggest tips is know your texts well, also title analysis and name analysis is very useful when you're stuck for ideas. Look for motifs and semantic fields, symbols and ensure when you are writing you are clearly referencing the writers craft. It's also useful to look at examples, however don't get too caught up in it. I would say look at jstor the Academic articles and writing style helped me developed my own. One thing that is really useful is looking and considering the Aos for each paper to ensure you meet it. The most important thing is practice and understanding feedback so you can develop. While I am not certain everything I've advised works since I'm still awaiting my A level results, I think they are good starter points.
Reply 3

It doesn’t matter that you did not do so well in your last mocks, as you’ve been given a 2nd chance with your September mocks. Do well in those, and you will be given good predicted grades, and will then have a good chance of getting into a top uni. Don’t worry about the past. Just knuckle down and focus on the September ones. Best of luck.
Reply 4

Look at the positives. You've been given a second chance to redeem your grades in your September mocks and you've just been given extra time in your exams.
You cannot change the past, and what you got in your previous mocks however you can change what your grades will look like after the summer. I think it can be really difficult with mental health struggles, so I would maybe advise talking to your head of sixth form about some of it as they can probably offer some support and advise you on how to move forward best.
It's almost the summer holidays as of now, 6 weeks off to allow you to rest, whilst you mentioned going for a summer job and you'll still have to do some studying still allow yourself to rest.
Please try not to blame yourself since this will only make you feel worse and demotivate you more... I would advise looking for a motivation, like a specific university. People have gone from E's to A's in just a few months before their real a-levels, your predicted grades can up changed up until January and there will be quite a few mocks in the following months before Winter break (not to induce anxiety, look at these as opportunities to raise your predicteds!) so you really do have a chance if you start putting in the effort and you will see the results. Maybe asks your teachers for advise in English as they know what your work is like and they can give you the best feedback.
Reply 5
I think a lot of people can get discouraged by poor mock grades, but my honest opinion is that if you can see that something hasn't worked for you in the run up to these mocks, try something new and work hard. The advice given by my teachers to those students who want to up their predicted grades and gain better marks in future mocks and the real exams is to work hard, ask for extra tasks/attend revision sessions, or try and get a 1:1 with your teacher just to get that specific advice for you. If you're getting A*s in your class tests then assuredly it is possible and achievable in your exams, I think getting a fresh start in the next set of mocks, and following through with your progress in class exams will help keep that same feeling for your mocks so you can get the grades you want.
hey,
mocks are mocks. they are just practice. in my y12 mocks i got an E in Ancient History- of course it was discouraging but i was reminded that it was just a practice run and i can improve in the future, which i did! and i’m sure you will be able to as well. don’t stress about mocks, but try your best. take all this worry and push it into revision and studying harder, if you want to go to a good uni all you need is your actual A level grades, they aren’t bothered about your year 12 mock results !

Quick Reply

Latest