The Student Room Group

laptop for computer science

I’m starting computer science as a degree in september. I have a gaming laptop, but it is quite expensive and very heavy and big to carry everyday to university. I just wanted to know what cheap laptop can I buy that can handle programmes, and isn’t heavy. Looking at around £200
Original post by stan shinee
I’m starting computer science as a degree in september. I have a gaming laptop, but it is quite expensive and very heavy and big to carry everyday to university. I just wanted to know what cheap laptop can I buy that can handle programmes, and isn’t heavy. Looking at around £200

For ~£200 you could grab a ThinkPad X280 from eBay or CeX, which is really small, thin and light and easy to take around, making it an ideal secondary laptop assuming you're also keeping your gaming laptop as a main stay-at-home machine. For around the same price, the ThinkPad T480/T480s is pretty solid, with better upgradability and a bigger screen but bigger and heavier.

Make sure to get something with a 8th gen or newer processor though. Anything brand new for that price is practically manufactured eWaste and even as a secondary machine probably wouldn't be good for your use case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending