The Student Room Group

Autism Assessment

Has anyone been assessed for autism as an adult?

Could you share your experiences below? I'm currently in university and my parents, and some of my friends seem to think I have certain autistic tendencies.
Original post by notstudyingatall

Could you share your experiences below? I'm currently in university and my parents, and some of my friends seem to think I have certain autistic tendencies.

Hello! I'm happy to share my experience. Feel free to ask anything following on too :smile:

I'm 19 so went through the adult system, in university too. I went through my first you knowing i might potentially be autistic but had nothing formal. I had so much trouble trying to go after a diagnosis because 3 gps told me what I was doing was just down to being a teenage girl even though my mum told them none of the other family members did some of my quirks as I like to call them. None of them even asked why I thought I could be autistic or talked properly to my mum. :smile: Eventually, I did get referred to the NHS and was told I'd be waiting 4 years min, I was devastated because I was struggling so badly.

So, at the time I was in contact with the university disability department as they had a system for self-identified ASD. They recommended Pychatriy UK to me and my university gp referred them to me instead. I wanted 3 months and they contacted me to fill out some forms. It was long to do, about 25 pages long about my experiences growing up and then the same for a family member or friend to fill out (my sister in my case). I submitted them back to them and had an assessment for a month later.

I was so nervous because I'd had a lot of bad experiences with mental health services. However, when I got onto the call (it's all remote), the kind lady explained that she had most information for my forms but needed to go over some things. She asked me about my relationships with family members, my friends and if I'd been bullied as a kid/ect in a sensitive way. It lasted about an hour for me and at the end of the assessment, she told me I had Autism, along with noting my history with anxiety and depression. I got my report back, a very long 5 page document, 4 weeks later so I could submit for DSA and attempt to explain to my parents.

My dad is really old-way thinking and is still coming to terms with the idea. He's never rejected it but he just never really brings it up. My mum is super excepting about it, even coming to some autistic events and explaining to people if I'm having a hard time. My sisters admitted they both thought I was a little different as a kid and they're fully accepting. I'm glad because not all my friends had a happy experience. I've found most of my friends have autism or ADHD, we just all click really well.

I've officially known for four months now and it's made a big difference for me. I'm open about it so when someone brings up that what I'm doing is weird in a vicious way, I just politely explain and they're always cool with it (most people). University has been easier with the proper support too and work accommodations can be put in place. I have a good support system with others who are autistic and they like the motto of 'if they dont' accept you from the start, you shouldn't be with them at all' in regards to friends and employers!

I've listed the tendencies that I've grown up with and they are mentioned in my report. I'm slowly learning what helps to avoid freaking out too much. Please be aware some of them can be done without being autistic but I was doing them A LOT.
- I eat the same food and brands. I never get bored of them. I once just ate chicken nuggets for 3 days straight lol.
- I have major sensory issues with sound, I can hear buzzing from plugs, get pain from loud noises.
- I struggle with texture. I crave soft textures like pillows but can't stand anything metal. I just kind of freak out if I accidentally touch a texture I don't like.
- I can't deal with unexpected changes in plans (I drive my friends mad sometimes) so being spontaneous is a no-go.
- I've never understood some social cues and never will, sarcasm is something I'm only just learning!
- I cannot be distracted if I'm doing anything, even if it's writing down a note because I'll forget what I was doing.
- I'm not good at dealing with repetitive things from other people, like when people tap their pen or hum.
- I get panic attacks from phone calls because I can't plan what they'll say!
- Special interests to the point of pure obsession. I could tell you every single thing about formula 1 now, from drivers to how the cars work :biggrin:

That's not even all of them but it's different for everyone. But yeah, that's my personal experience!
I haven't been assessed yet, just referred. GP raised the question whether I may have ASD after I saw them a few times about another issue and they wondered if ASD may be contributing - I don't necessarily have any glaringly obvious traits, but I'm female so their feeling was it may be presenting atypically because of my gender. They got me to fill in some questionnaires and now I'm awaiting assessment - suspect the wait is likely to be a couple of years though... If you at uni, there may be a way of being assessed through them?
Hi,
I've also had an adult assessment
I was on the waiting list for 2 and a half years before being transferred to physcariaty UK so pretty similar to the first person so won't go into too much detail
If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer
Also it wasn't mentioned in the other one but mine also included the ADOS module 4, which I'm not allowed to go into too much detail but you have to describe certain pictures, mime some actions and read a book

@notstudyingatall
Hi, I am a qualified SENDco and have an MSc in Psychology, I can say that there is nothing scary about an autism assessment other than the length of the waiting list. With any diagnostic test it is best going in to it with little idea of what is coming therefore the readings are a little more valid and you are not influenced by what you think they might be looking for (happens with dyslexia tests all the time).

I supported an autistic learner in 22/23 and she got a distinction on most of her college assignments, remember it is never a barrier to learning

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Check your PMs

Quick Reply

Latest