The Student Room Group

Diabetics on study abroad

I've put a course with a year abroad in Italy as my first choice for uni. I have type 1 diabetes and I'm not sure about if there's any protocol in place for students like me who get essential medical supplies on the NHS like insulin pump disposables and insulin, but will be studying abroad for a year. My diabetes nurse said I'll either be able to come back to the UK for hospital appointments every 3 months so that I still qualify for the equipment and then take it back to Italy with me, or I'll have to sort it out and pay myself but this will be impossible on my student budget (for my pump a week's supply is about £150!!!). She didn't have any personal experience so wasn't sure. Has anyone else been in this situation and could you let me know what you did for the year abroad?
I would recommend getting in touch with your universities accessibility team (and perhaps also your student union) ASAP to find out how they would support students in your position and if they have experience of students with the same condition and how the student and uni managed that. I would expect it's probably not the first time this (or a similar) situation has arisen for your uni and so hopefully they should have some kind of process (even an ad hoc one) in place to support you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by keeks05
I've put a course with a year abroad in Italy as my first choice for uni. I have type 1 diabetes and I'm not sure about if there's any protocol in place for students like me who get essential medical supplies on the NHS like insulin pump disposables and insulin, but will be studying abroad for a year. My diabetes nurse said I'll either be able to come back to the UK for hospital appointments every 3 months so that I still qualify for the equipment and then take it back to Italy with me, or I'll have to sort it out and pay myself but this will be impossible on my student budget (for my pump a week's supply is about £150!!!). She didn't have any personal experience so wasn't sure. Has anyone else been in this situation and could you let me know what you did for the year abroad?

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending