The Student Room Group

How to Make Friends at Uni

The thought of making friends at university can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be.

My number one tip for making friends at uni is to say “yes” to as many things as possible.

I love my own company and it would have been easy to stay in my flat and in my comfort zone at the start of the year. But instead, I made sure to get involved in as many Freshers’ events, free society trials, meet ups and activities as possible.

You don’t have to commit yourself to all these activities forever, but you never know who is going to be there and who you’ll meet, so they’re worth a try to find some friends.

I tried BCU Burlesque’s society as I love dancing but had never tried burlesque before. I went to a free session by myself in September and now I go with the friends I’ve made from burlesque, all because I said “yes” to that one trial session.

Try not to be overwhelmed by the thought of making friends as uni. You will find the right people for you in no time.

If you’re still a little worried, ask any questions in this thread and I’ll try to help.

Or if you’ve got some top tips of your own, be sure to share them too!

Emily
Original post by BCU Student Rep
The thought of making friends at university can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be.

My number one tip for making friends at uni is to say “yes” to as many things as possible.

I love my own company and it would have been easy to stay in my flat and in my comfort zone at the start of the year. But instead, I made sure to get involved in as many Freshers’ events, free society trials, meet ups and activities as possible.

You don’t have to commit yourself to all these activities forever, but you never know who is going to be there and who you’ll meet, so they’re worth a try to find some friends.

I tried BCU Burlesque’s society as I love dancing but had never tried burlesque before. I went to a free session by myself in September and now I go with the friends I’ve made from burlesque, all because I said “yes” to that one trial session.

Try not to be overwhelmed by the thought of making friends as uni. You will find the right people for you in no time.

If you’re still a little worried, ask any questions in this thread and I’ll try to help.

Or if you’ve got some top tips of your own, be sure to share them too!

Emily

This is brill advice!! I completely agree with this - throw yourself in and try new things :five: You've nothing to lose and you'll meet so many other people who are in exactly the same boat as you. You'll all be so glad you put yourselves out there.

A top tip of mine if you're moving in to a new place and living with people you don't know is to make a good effort to get to know your flatmates and your new home. For example - if you're in a location where there's a red bus tour then why not organise a 'flatmate day out' hopping on and off the bus route? You get to be tourists for a day, start to know the area and also can make a really fun day of it with your flatmates!

Good luck to everyone starting in September! It can feel like a scary time but it's also a really exciting time. You've worked hard to get there so remind yourself of that when it feels daunting!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by University of Strathclyde
This is brill advice!! I completely agree with this - throw yourself in and try new things :five: You've nothing to lose and you'll meet so many other people who are in exactly the same boat as you. You'll all be so glad you put yourselves out there.

A top tip of mine if you're moving in to a new place and living with people you don't know is to make a good effort to get to know your flatmates and your new home. For example - if you're in a location where there's a red bus tour then why not organise a 'flatmate day out' hopping on and off the bus route? You get to be tourists for a day, start to know the area and also can make a really fun day of it with your flatmates!

Good luck to everyone starting in September! It can feel like a scary time but it's also a really exciting time. You've worked hard to get there so remind yourself of that when it feels daunting!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thanks Caitlin! This is such a good idea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending