The Student Room Group

Computer science at uni vs a level

I do computer science at a level and my teacher LITERALLY just puts on Craig and dave videos and then tells us to do worksheets. How does computer science at a level compare to how it is at uni? Cheers
Original post by watermelonwww
I do computer science at a level and my teacher LITERALLY just puts on Craig and dave videos and then tells us to do worksheets. How does computer science at a level compare to how it is at uni? Cheers

From my experience, very different. You'll typically get a set number of contact hours a week from lecturers, who will mostly be delivering their own created material as opposed to anything found online. On my course, we typically have a little bit of lecture time, followed by more interactive activities depending on the module, such as live follow-along coding practice, or lab sessions with dedicated software. I'm sure every university delivers their material in a slightly different way, but feel free to ask me any questions you may have about my experience and I'll be happy to chat about them. :smile:

- Elliot
Original post by watermelonwww

As Elliot said, very different.

For me, we would start the week in a lecture theatre going over how to do whatever new coding thing we're doing and being taught the logic behind why that's done how it is. This might also include the lecturer doing some coding themselves and stopping to talk through it and answer any questions.

Then we would be set some programming practice to either do in the computer labs where there are lab helpers if you get stuck or the lecturer themselves is also there to help. Or you could do them on your own time at home if you felt like you didn't need that extra support.

If you decided you didn't need extra help and then quickly regretted that (which I did a couple of times) there was also a second lab later in the week. These labs are also just nice spaces to sit and do some coding that isn't assigned if you need a focused space to help you concentrate the best.

I've just finished my first year doing my Computer Science (Artificial intelligence) degree at Heriot and I have loved it. And in my opinion, it's so much more interesting and fun than A-level.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

- Jessica
1st year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending