The Student Room Group

A level options for a Maths degree at Oxbridge?

I am wondering what 3/4 A levels you recommend if I am aspiring to study Maths at Oxbridge and complete a PHD in the subject
Maths and further maths definitely. Maybe physics and/or chemistry also.
Original post by Nithumigah
I am wondering what 3/4 A levels you recommend if I am aspiring to study Maths at Oxbridge and complete a PHD in the subject

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry for a fourth
Reply 3

Maths, Further maths and anything else for Oxford. They really don't have a preference for the third A-level. Physics perhaps a good third choice for Cambridge where the first year is a little more applied. Chemistry would have no benefit for either maths course and there is no preference for 3 vs 4 A-levels.
I think as long as you do Maths and Further Maths, it doesn't matter! My friend got in with Maths, Further Maths and Geography.
Original post by katieewalkerx9
I think as long as you do Maths and Further Maths, it doesn't matter! My friend got in with Maths, Further Maths and Geography.

It is best you stick to traditional subjects - for example, doing Media Studies as a third A Level will probably not do you too many favours in terms of an Oxbridge application.

Why Oxbridge? Why do you think you want to do a PhD - what sort of maths do you enjoy?
What other things are you doing to prepare? UKMT? Reading books and which ones?
Reply 7
Maths, Futher Maths are a must have, and then Physics and/or Computer Science, I'd start out with 4.
Reply 8
Is chemistry or computer science a better fourth a level choice for a maths degree at Oxbridge or other top uk unis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending