The Student Room Group

Should I do computer science at uni?

Hi, I’ve recently started doing Therapeutic Radiography at BCU and I am very concerned about the workload, the intensity and if it’s the course for me. I have some questions about Computer Science at uni (more specifically BCU) as it is a course I would consider taking
1) Would it be worth me switching to computer science instead as I do enjoy the prospect of technology more than science?
2) I did Biology, English and History for A Levels so would I struggle or be severely disadvantaged if I chose to switch to CS as I didn’t do it at A level?
The spec states I can apply with any science (so biology)
3) Also I have no experience with programming but I am willing to learn it if I did decide to do it at uni. Could that potentially be an issue?
I would appreciate a quick response as it is currently still in clearing and I think I have until the end of September to switch for this year.
So would it be worth me switching from radiotherapy to computer science at BCU?
Thanks in advance, I’ll appreciate any help given
(edited 1 year ago)
Usually CS degrees assume no prior background in CS or programming. However they do very commonly require a background in maths to A-level standard, which you don't have - however not all courses require this. I'd suggest checking the entry criteria to be sure.

In terms of workload, all degrees are, essentially, the same amount of work. This is the point of them using a standardised credit system - 15 credits is worth the same amount of work regardless of the actual course studied. While the exact break down of contact hours vs self study hours may vary, the same relative effort is required.

So changing your subject because you think another one will be "less work" is going to backfire, because you still need to put in a similar amount of work to do well. In fact, for non-AHP subjects you have to do more work, because you need to be actively seeking internship and placement opportunities throughout the course to make yourself employable (whereas generally for AHP courses, provided you are flexible in where you work, you will be able to find a post in the NHS somewhere when you graduate, as most AHPs are in shortage at the moment).

You may want to consider if university is the right route for you if that is a concern, and whether an apprenticeship path to qualifying in your desired field (either in the computing sector or in an allied health profession - both have a variety of apprenticeships up to and including degree apprenticeships) may be a better fit if you think working and learning suits you better than primarily or purely academic study.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Usually CS degrees assume no prior background in CS or programming. However they do very commonly require a background in maths to A-level standard, which you don't have - however not all courses require this. I'd suggest checking the entry criteria to be sure.

In terms of workload, all degrees are, essentially, the same amount of work. This is the point of them using a standardised credit system - 15 credits is worth the same amount of work regardless of the actual course studied. While the exact break down of contact hours vs self study hours may vary, the same relative effort is required.

So changing your subject because you think another one will be "less work" is going to backfire, because you still need to put in a similar amount of work to do well. In fact, for non-AHP subjects you have to do more work, because you need to be actively seeking internship and placement opportunities throughout the course to make yourself employable (whereas generally for AHP courses, provided you are flexible in where you work, you will be able to find a post in the NHS somewhere when you graduate, as most AHPs are in shortage at the moment).

You may want to consider if university is the right route for you if that is a concern, and whether an apprenticeship path to qualifying in your desired field (either in the computing sector or in an allied health profession - both have a variety of apprenticeships up to and including degree apprenticeships) may be a better fit if you think working and learning suits you better than primarily or purely academic study.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
It’s not the time spent on the work required I’m primarily worried about, it’s more of the type of work required as I feel I could thrive more in a computer related role, rather than a medical/scientific one.
Also, would a degree in computer science be more adaptable in terms of employment rather than a radiotherapy degree?
As of now I’m still very unsure of which path I should take in uni. I am willing to do the required work but I am unsure which type of field would be better for me personally.
Edit: the course states it requires either a level tech, any science, maths or computing. Would that be the maths background you were referring to?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by sockheadz
Hi, I’ve recently started doing Therapeutic Radiography at BCU and I am very concerned about the workload, the intensity and if it’s the course for me. I have some questions about Computer Science at uni (more specifically BCU) as it is a course I would consider taking
1) Would it be worth me switching to computer science instead as I do enjoy the prospect of technology more than science?
2) I did Biology, English and History for A Levels so would I struggle or be severely disadvantaged if I chose to switch to CS as I didn’t do it at A level?
The spec states I can apply with any science (so biology)
3) Also I have no experience with programming but I am willing to learn it if I did decide to do it at uni. Could that potentially be an issue?
I would appreciate a quick response as it is currently still in clearing and I think I have until the end of September to switch for this year.
So would it be worth me switching from radiotherapy to computer science at BCU?
Thanks in advance, I’ll appreciate any help given

Hi what did you end up doing? In a similar position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending