The Student Room Group

Will taking Further Maths as a third subject be a disadvantage to apply for uni?

I'm about to do my UCAS exams, but I really don't like physics, so I decided i might drop it in year 13.

If I do, I have only three A levels, maths and further maths and computer science.

Now I am just worried if I apply with 3 A levels will this be a disadvantage?

The subject I want to do in uni is computer science, although I know they like further maths for computer science, I'm still worried. (I would like to go University of Warwick)

So here is my question?
1. Idk what to do, can anyone help me please?? especially those who did apply for uni with three A levels including both maths. Will taking Further Maths as a third subject be a disadvantage to apply for uni?

2. I'm worried if i drop physics i will be stuck with further maths and i heard it's really hard in year 13. Which is harder physics or f.m.?

3. is it better to take four A levels with A*AAB or or three with A*A*A?
(I want to keep f.m. cuz i heard that unis really like it for computer science and might lower the offer)

Thanks!
personally, i find fm better than physics - the pure and statistics modules are pretty easy, mechanics is a pain. physics isnt bad either, but technically speaking yes fm is harder than physics
Please please please take FM if you would like to pursue computer science at degree level, along with the decision module for FM.

I don't think doing 3 A-Levels puts you at a disadvantage, I think it's beneficial if you view taking 4 A-Levels as kind of giving yourself a bit of a cushion.

Before I made the decision to switch to doing an apprenticeship, I was locked out of taking CS at some top unis like UCL and Cambridge because I hadn't taken FM as my sixth form wasn't offering it.

It is viewed VERY favourably, and maths, FM, and CS is a killer combo to have :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kurayami2317
I'm about to do my UCAS exams, but I really don't like physics, so I decided i might drop it in year 13.

If I do, I have only three A levels, maths and further maths and computer science.

The subject I want to do in uni is computer science, although I know they like further maths for computer science, I'm still worried. (I would like to go University of Warwick)

So here is my question?
1. Idk what to do, can anyone help me please?? especially those who did apply for uni with three A levels including both maths. Will taking Further Maths as a third subject be a disadvantage to apply for uni?

2. I'm worried if i drop physics i will be stuck with further maths and i heard it's really hard in year 13. Which is harder physics or f.m.?

(I want to keep f.m. cuz i heard that unis really like it for computer science and might lower the offer)

Thanks!

Warwick only demands Mature students have B grade or above in just A-Level Maths.

So you should be fine with A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. :wink:
Reply 4
From Warwick CS's page, "if you are studying both Mathematics and Further Mathematics A-levels, we will treat these as two separate subjects," so there's no issue there, they treat it just the same as any other 3 A level combo.

To answer your third question, three A levels with A*A*A is definitely better than four with A*AAB. The course only requires 3 A levels, so that B would be irrelevant, and you'd be left with A*A*A vs A*AA, the latter of which doesn't meet Warwick's standard offer.
Reply 5

So here is my question?

Thanks!

Heya!
I believe you should be fine with Fm, CS and maths as CS courses usually just want maths and FM :h: I would recommend checking the unis if they treat FM and maths as separate subjects just in case. Having FM is very advantageous, especially for top unis! If it helps, Study Mind has free resources!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
where else are you applying
Reply 7
Original post by Interea
From Warwick CS's page, "if you are studying both Mathematics and Further Mathematics A-levels, we will treat these as two separate subjects," so there's no issue there, they treat it just the same as any other 3 A level combo.

To answer your third question, three A levels with A*A*A is definitely better than four with A*AAB. The course only requires 3 A levels, so that B would be irrelevant, and you'd be left with A*A*A vs A*AA, the latter of which doesn't meet Warwick's standard offer.

Thanks for your reply:u:
I wanted to ask, what about oxford would they care?
Like i don't have that much of a desire to go there cuz of the work load oxford . Bu why not give a go and apply, and decide to go later.

So here is my question?

Thanks!

Not an issue for CS courses.

Would only matter if you were applying to medicine, or non-mathematical courses at LSE.
Reply 9
Thanks for your reply:u:
I wanted to ask, what about oxford would they care?
Like i don't have that much of a desire to go there cuz of the work load oxford . Bu why not give a go and apply, and decide to go later.

I don't think so (although they do expect you to take further maths if your school offers it, so that gives extra incentive to keep further maths).

See https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html#Maths,_Further_Maths_&_Science (key line: "we see A level Maths and A level Further Maths as two separate A Levels").
Reply 10
As an example, Bath considers Maths and FM as two separate subjects and requires both of these for many of its courses - it certainly wont be a 'disadvantage'.

So here is my question?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. The majority of universities only consider your three best performing A-Levels so I would definitely suggest dropping physics if you feel it might hold back your other subjects. Further maths is considered its own subject by most universities so you would not be at a disadvantage and would be in a similar situation to plenty of people I have met at university. While I didn't do physics so I can't compare the two I can tell you something my further maths teacher said to me "Stop thinking of further maths as harder maths and instead think of it as just more maths". So while it may not be easy it is naturally just the next in your maths learning which will continue if you do a maths or maths related degree at university so don't worry. I would also advise you to have a look at Lancaster university in general as we are #13 for Computer Science and Information Systems (The Guardian University League Tables 2023). In general, a good choice would be to visit open days in July and the following months and ask them any questions you have to help put your mind at ease. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by AverageDolphin
Please please please take FM if you would like to pursue computer science at degree level, along with the decision module for FM.

I don't think doing 3 A-Levels puts you at a disadvantage, I think it's beneficial if you view taking 4 A-Levels as kind of giving yourself a bit of a cushion.

Before I made the decision to switch to doing an apprenticeship, I was locked out of taking CS at some top unis like UCL and Cambridge because I hadn't taken FM as my sixth form wasn't offering it.

It is viewed VERY favourably, and maths, FM, and CS is a killer combo to have :smile:

Rae you in the UK? All schools can offer F Maths if so ...
Reply 13
Original post by jamest0394q
where else are you applying

Oxford, Warwick, University of Birmingham, Imperial and Southampton

what are your predicted grades
Reply 15
Original post by jamest0394q
what are your predicted grades

I don't have them yet, like i said i'm about to do UCAS which will have predicted grades based on it.
I don't have them yet, like i said i'm about to do UCAS which will have predicted grades based on it.

oh yh didnt see that mb. what grades u tryna get

you'll need at least A*A*A* - CS is extremely competitive and there's internationals with 4-A levels as well as home students with FM as a 4th subject. not saying you have to do this, but you need the best grades possible
Reply 18
if i want to get as high as i can and with physics i'm either gonna get A*AAA or A*A*AA. Without it i can easily get 3A*
just drop physics then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending