The Student Room Group

Can I get into Cambridge or Imperial engineering without doing well in olympiads?

I did the senior maths and physics challenges this year but only got bronze in both and a silver in the online physics challenge. I have read about 5 ps of people at imperial or cambridge and they all have got silvers and golds in the challenges.

Will having only bronzes and a silver hamper me or does it not really matter?
I got a gold in UKMT senior maths and applying to computer science but I feel like this is not enough, since there are so many people applying to Imperial and Oxbridge with a certificate in national Olympiad level. I think if you do exceptionally well in the admissions test, that might put you in similar level as other competitive applicants.
Reply 3
Original post by electronicnoob1_
I did the senior maths and physics challenges this year but only got bronze in both and a silver in the online physics challenge. I have read about 5 ps of people at imperial or cambridge and they all have got silvers and golds in the challenges.

I wouldnt put bronze or silver on my personal statement, but you definitely dont need to have gold and stuff like that in olympiad to get in. I know someone who got into natural sciences at cambridge without doing the chemistry olympiad at all cause he was sick on the day - as long as you have other things to show apptitude (this guy for examples designed a new novel molecular cage for drug delivery). Getting bronze and silver though might mean that you need to really practice for the admissions tests, I wont pretend I know lots about the admission assessments for engineering, but u need to do well on these, and if u were getting bronze/silver on olympiad papers I would definitely do a lot of practice for the admissions

Hello :smile:

When reviewing your application, alongside your (predicted) grades the Cambridge College you apply to will be looking at all other aspects, such as any admissions assessment, your personal statement, teacher reference, performance at interview etc. As part of these, the College you apply to will be looking for how you have explored your subject outside of the standard teaching you have received in school. If one way you have done this is by taking part in Olympiads you would be welcome to include this in your application. We recommend choosing two or three "super-curricular" activities you have taken part in to explore your subject in your free time and deep dive into how these have helped you to explore your chosen subject, rather than listing many individual things.

Try not to compare yourself against other applicants, but instead focus why you want to and should be the one studying at Cambridge or Imperial.

Hope that is helpful!
Reply 5

I didn't get into Cambridge but I did get into imperial aero. I got a bronze in senior maths challenge. As long as you do well in the entrance exam and interview you have a good chance of getting and offer. Also idk what engineering you want to apply for but some courses are much less competitive (civil and bioengineering) so for these they definitely wouldn't care. Also for your personal statement don't just say
Reply 6
Original post by RedArrow10
I didn't get into Cambridge but I did get into imperial aero. I got a bronze in senior maths challenge. As long as you do well in the entrance exam and interview you have a good chance of getting and offer. Also idk what engineering you want to apply for but some courses are much less competitive (civil and bioengineering) so for these they definitely wouldn't care.Lol I got cut off. Also for your personal statement don't just say "I got bronze", say "Sitting the phys Olympiad I enjoyed applying what I had learnt in class to complex physical problems. I was particularly interested by a question ..." For your ps its more about the story you tell rather than what you actually did

Many students do not have olympiads. Definitely apply to Cambridge. Good luck
There are so many other things you can talk about besides olympiads. Just make sure they're subject related :smile:
Hei,

I can't say anything about the application processes and I guess it depends on the competition, but concerning engineering: While Mathematics and Physics are an integral part of Engineering, Engineering is neither the same as Physics nor Mathematics. Engineering is its own subject and has so many different topics to explore, that there are so many things, you can be interested and good in related to engineering, which have nothing to do with any olympiads. And I would guess, that just persuing, what interests you most in Engineering, will make you a good student and a good engineer afterwards. Whether it is Thermodynamics, Rockets, Material Science, Chemical Plants, Production, Gears, so many topics you can digg into and be good at... no need to stress about being maybe not so good at Math or Physics as others, when you thrive to combine knowledge to create applications to solve real life problems, then you will be a good engineer. :smile: There is so much more to be good at, than Math and Physics to succeed as an engineer. So many possibilities. :smile:

Why these two Unis for Engineering?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending