The Student Room Group

Boss said I can't have work anxiety

Hi ,

Basically I've worked at this place for 8 months. During this time I have experienced bullying from some management members and recently I expressed to my boss I get a lot of work anxiety and am scared to make mistakes because how I've been treated there in the past. They then said how I couldn't have work anxiety as they do nothing wrong so it's a me problem. Additionally they decided to pull me infront of my coworkers without my permission and discussed it all with them too and then proceeded to tell me after this that they did that because they cared about me so felt like everyone should know about it too. However when she spoke about me to my coworkers they kinda talked down about me and how they didn't understand why I felt that way even asking if I had a problem still with anyone in the room.... while the person who badly bullied me until a month prior was in the room.... how on earth do I go back to work and ..... idk deal with how uncomfortable this whole encounter went?? I feel sick to my stomach with work anxiety now.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi ,

Basically I've worked at this place for 8 months. During this time I have experienced bullying from some management members and recently I expressed to my boss I get a lot of work anxiety and am scared to make mistakes because how I've been treated there in the past. They then said how I couldn't have work anxiety as they do nothing wrong so it's a me problem. Additionally they decided to pull me infront of my coworkers without my permission and discussed it all with them too and then proceeded to tell me after this that they did that because they cared about me so felt like everyone should know about it too. However when she spoke about me to my coworkers they kinda talked down about me and how they didn't understand why I felt that way even asking if I had a problem still with anyone in the room.... while the person who badly bullied me until a month prior was in the room.... how on earth do I go back to work and ..... idk deal with how uncomfortable this whole encounter went?? I feel sick to my stomach with work anxiety now.

This is a potential lawsuit.
Hi ,

Reminds me of my old boss who believed she was the most laid back boss ever, despite many staff resigning in the last year due to her bullying.

If I’m going to be honest, I think you should resign and then file a complaint to HR.
Original post by Official Bedhead
Reminds me of my old boss who believed she was the most laid back boss ever, despite many staff resigning in the last year due to her bullying.

If I’m going to be honest, I think you should resign and then file a complaint to HR.

You have to file a complaint to HR prior to resigning.
Original post by Wired_1800
You have to file a complaint to HR prior to resigning.

oh really? I knew someone who had filed a complaint once they resigned but I definitely think resigning is the best option unfortunately. I know from my experience HR can be up and down so there’s a strong case the boss could still be there after that complaint. I don’t recommend working in a job where you’re so anxious to the point you feel sick. It’s not healthy.
oh really? I knew someone who had filed a complaint once they resigned but I definitely think resigning is the best option unfortunately. I know from my experience HR can be up and down so there’s a strong case the boss could still be there after that complaint. I don’t recommend working in a job where you’re so anxious to the point you feel sick. It’s not healthy.

I agree with you. I am not an HR expert but I think filing a complaint after resignation could be tricky as technically you are no longer an employee.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6

Honestly the only reason I haven't resigned is because I'm actually an apprentice. If I leave I lose everything and owe money
Hi ,

Hi there,

Sorry you are going through this.

Please do have a look here at some useful resources from Mind on how to cope with anxiety. You can also speak to someone at Mind here

The NHS also have some helpful resources as well as urgent mental health helplines for people of all ages in England. To find a helpline suitable for you, please visit here.
You can call for:
-24-hour advice and support for you, your child, your parent or someone you care for
-help speaking to a mental health professional
-an assessment to find the right care for you

The Samaritans are available 24/7 and can be contacted by calling 116 123 or emailing [email protected]. There are also apps that can help, like Smiling Minds and Headspace.

Take care and please look after yourself,

Best wishes,
TSR Support

Quick Reply

Latest