The Student Room Group

I’m a consistent screw-up and I don’t know what to do.

I’ve possibly ruined my entire future because of this.

I’m 18, and I had plans to go to medical school.

Since 2020 I’ve been doing absolutely nothing. Pandemic hit, school was closed and that has changed my schedule permanently since. Finished my GCSEs and got straight As and A*s studying at home, and pretty much dropped out of school in 2021, as in I did the rest of my studying by myself and got an A in bio, and am going to take my other 2 a levels in october of this year.

The reason I’m a consistent screw-up is because I’ve messed up my a levels for 1 year now. Not by getting bad grades, but by having absolutely no motivation to do anything and just laying in bed on my phone all day. Because of this, I’ve ruined my chances of getting into med school because as you guessed it I didn’t study for my upcoming exams in October.

I feel like it has to do with me being at home for 3 years, but I just can’t motivate myself to do anything. I sleep for too many hours a day, wake up at like 3pm after sleeping at 5am, stay in my room all day, don’t eat much food, don’t study, don’t drink enough water, etc.

I’ve messed up my a levels by not studying multiple times now, but the problem is that I *know* I can do well. I self studied the entire AS course and in the exam I got straight As in pretty much every component. I self studied A2 bio at home and got an A with 1 and a half month of studying. But still I couldn’t bring myself to be productive at all in the past year or so.

I know this entire post is just word soup, forgive me because I’m not very good at articulating myself when dumping all my issues to anonymous people online. I have a lot more to say but have absolutely no idea how to say it. My parents are getting fed up with me postponing my exams because of lack of study.

What is wrong with me? Why are all my friends and family in uni already? Why can’t I do anything right? I’ve been sitting doing nothing for 3/4 of the last 3 years

I was going to take my Physics and Chemistry A-level exams in October 2022, didn’t study for them and got bad grades. Was going to take composite exams in May/June 2023, didn’t study and got bad grades. Now October is coming up and I have 2.5-3 months until my exams but I still haven’t studied at all. I can barely even get out of bed to pick up a pen. I can barely even motivate myself to brush me teeth.

I want to change but I’ve consistently screwed up massively. I’m not trying to make this post a pity party but I guess I just want to put this out there because my parents don’t really believe in concepts like mental health issues, and I have nobody else to talk to.

I guess not being productive for 3 years straight has taken a severe toll on my health. I don’t know where to re-start everything though. I might not even pursue medical school now, and I know for a fact that my parents have given up hope on their dream of me going to medical school because I’ve overheard them talking to one another about me doing another field like Law or Biomedical sciences. But trust me, they are not happy about this. They think I’m a disappointment. I have nowhere else to go guys I really need some direction and help.

Sorry for this post being so poor and unstructured, I haven’t really found a good way to articulate all of my thoughts on this yet.

Thank you for reading this if you got this far.
Original post by po111

Since 2020 I’ve been doing absolutely nothing. Pandemic hit, school was closed and that has changed my schedule permanently since. Finished my GCSEs and got straight As and A*s studying at home, and pretty much dropped out of school in 2021, as in I did the rest of my studying by myself and got an A in bio, and am going to take my other 2 a levels in october of this year.

The reason I’m a consistent screw-up is because I’ve messed up my a levels for 1 year now. Not by getting bad grades, but by having absolutely no motivation to do anything and just laying in bed on my phone all day. Because of this, I’ve ruined my chances of getting into med school because as you guessed it I didn’t study for my upcoming exams in October.

I feel like it has to do with me being at home for 3 years, but I just can’t motivate myself to do anything. I sleep for too many hours a day, wake up at like 3pm after sleeping at 5am, stay in my room all day, don’t eat much food, don’t study, don’t drink enough water, etc.

I’ve messed up my a levels by not studying multiple times now, but the problem is that I *know* I can do well. I self studied the entire AS course and in the exam I got straight As in pretty much every component. I self studied A2 bio at home and got an A with 1 and a half month of studying. But still I couldn’t bring myself to be productive at all in the past year or so.

I know this entire post is just word soup, forgive me because I’m not very good at articulating myself when dumping all my issues to anonymous people online. I have a lot more to say but have absolutely no idea how to say it. My parents are getting fed up with me postponing my exams because of lack of study.

What is wrong with me? Why are all my friends and family in uni already? Why can’t I do anything right? I’ve been sitting doing nothing for 3/4 of the last 3 years

I was going to take my Physics and Chemistry A-level exams in October 2022, didn’t study for them and got bad grades. Was going to take composite exams in May/June 2023, didn’t study and got bad grades. Now October is coming up and I have 2.5-3 months until my exams but I still haven’t studied at all. I can barely even get out of bed to pick up a pen. I can barely even motivate myself to brush me teeth.

I want to change but I’ve consistently screwed up massively. I’m not trying to make this post a pity party but I guess I just want to put this out there because my parents don’t really believe in concepts like mental health issues, and I have nobody else to talk to.

I guess not being productive for 3 years straight has taken a severe toll on my health. I don’t know where to re-start everything though. I might not even pursue medical school now, and I know for a fact that my parents have given up hope on their dream of me going to medical school because I’ve overheard them talking to one another about me doing another field like Law or Biomedical sciences. But trust me, they are not happy about this. They think I’m a disappointment. I have nowhere else to go guys I really need some direction and help.

Sorry for this post being so poor and unstructured, I haven’t really found a good way to articulate all of my thoughts on this yet.

I feel u, dw ull get through it, i am going to be goign in y13 and despite doing well enough in gcses, could have done better, i was in the same mental state for y12 and so didnt do well and cant apply , but iwll hopefully get teh a-levels i need, take a gap year and tehn apply...life happens and thats not ur fault...personally for me and perhaps for u too...the biggest thing i need to work on rn is my mental helath...get some help and find a trusted person to speak to, be kind to urself and actually start working,,,its not too late yet and give urslef a year--do it bit by bit ..retake ur tests smash them, i know u can..maybe join the gym or soemhting for as mental and physcial wellbeing are linked and then apply for medical school...dont let anyone tell u taht u cnat achieve ur dreams but the only way to acheive them is by working hard and putting the hours inn...i hope this helps----everyone is ont heor own journey in life and this is just a hurdle..it will make u stronger if u can get through it and i knwo u can
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I feel u, dw ull get through it, i am going to be goign in y13 and despite doing well enough in gcses, could have done better, i was in the same mental state for y12 and so didnt do well and cant apply , but iwll hopefully get teh a-levels i need, take a gap year and tehn apply...life happens and thats not ur fault...personally for me and perhaps for u too...the biggest thing i need to work on rn is my mental helath...get some help and find a trusted person to speak to, be kind to urself and actually start working,,,its not too late yet and give urslef a year--do it bit by bit ..retake ur tests smash them, i know u can..maybe join the gym or soemhting for as mental and physcial wellbeing are linked and then apply for medical school...dont let anyone tell u taht u cnat achieve ur dreams but the only way to acheive them is by working hard and putting the hours inn...i hope this helps----everyone is ont heor own journey in life and this is just a hurdle..it will make u stronger if u can get through it and i knwo u can

Thank you man. I’ve been thinking about seeing a psychiatrist or something because something about my mental state at the moment just doesn’t feel right. Now I just have to make my parents see it too
Original post by po111
Thank you man. I’ve been thinking about seeing a psychiatrist or something because something about my mental state at the moment just doesn’t feel right. Now I just have to make my parents see it too

your welcome and you know u best...the first step in getting help is always the hardest..the professional can help u and also help ur parents help u...by explaining to them
Original post by po111

You did not screw up your life, what happened to you is more common as you think. Homeschool or Office is not as easy as it sounds and it requires a lot of dedication. Anyway, what is obvious, it does not work out for you right now. So I guess, changing scenery is what you need:
a) Back to traditional school,
b) Getting a tutor or a bit less traditional school, because it is easier to motivate yourself, when you have a structure and deadlines,
c) Don't worry, a doctor does not need big home office skills, your patients will dictate your day,
d) Get a job, stop learning for a while and focus on getting structure. Maybe some health related job, so you have some experience you can use to test your motivation. A job would get you out of that home rythm.
e) Use a public library to learn, then it is like going to work,
f) Engage in activities, so you are forced to be more efficient and you get your body going, that can be a sports club, volunteering, a job, etc. ...

Just do something. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest