The Student Room Group

For people who have shared accommodations , what are the people like?

Do you think most have respect to your privacy ? Are they hygienic ? etc...
Original post by lionelmessi34

Hi there,
If you're concerned about sharing accommodation with others, I'd highly recommend just keeping communications open. Everybody is different and comes to uni with differing levels of life experience, so you might find some people are better at cleaning up after themselves than others. If your flatmates are open to it, have a conversation when you all move in and set boundaries.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

This is something that nobody can give a definitive answer to. In my first year, I was lucky and all my flat mates would clean up after themselves; I think it was because at the start everyone wanted to look friendly and as a flat we just sort of kept the place clean. Other factors may have been because it was 2020 and covid so people kept clean out of habit. However, on various group chats and friends I made that year and the year after it's very clear that not everyone has a clean experience. Some people won't clean up and stuff is piled up, leading to the ones that do clean to stop out of anger or stress. It's a big luck of the draw kind of thing unfortunately.

If you don't like your flat mates and they aren't clean or hygienic, you can always ask your accomodation agency to shift you out of the house and into another!

As for privacy, most, if not all, accomodation will have locks on doors, no one will come barging into your room and mostly people are considerate and knock on your door/message you on the flat group chat if you're needed.

But really it's something that is out of your control as everyone is a stranger at university and it's up to who the accomodation people put you with. After first year most people will move in with their friends or course mates; people they properly click with.

Hope this helps,
Dom
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
This is something that nobody can give a definitive answer to. In my first year, I was lucky and all my flat mates would clean up after themselves; I think it was because at the start everyone wanted to look friendly and as a flat we just sort of kept the place clean. Other factors may have been because it was 2020 and covid so people kept clean out of habit. However, on various group chats and friends I made that year and the year after it's very clear that not everyone has a clean experience. Some people won't clean up and stuff is piled up, leading to the ones that do clean to stop out of anger or stress. It's a big luck of the draw kind of thing unfortunately.

If you don't like your flat mates and they aren't clean or hygienic, you can always ask your accomodation agency to shift you out of the house and into another!

As for privacy, most, if not all, accomodation will have locks on doors, no one will come barging into your room and mostly people are considerate and knock on your door/message you on the flat group chat if you're needed.

But really it's something that is out of your control as everyone is a stranger at university and it's up to who the accomodation people put you with. After first year most people will move in with their friends or course mates; people they properly click with.

Hope this helps,
Dom

thank you
Reply 4

I think others above have covered most of it if you are a first year with university accommodation. From second year onwards(when you have to take private accommodation) if you choose to live with a group of students then my advice would be to only live with people you know very well. In my second year I stayed with a group in which I only knew one person and after a few months we had many problems like some housemates inviting their friends for parties in the middle of covid... and not cleaning up afterwards... basically irresponsible characters. It got so bad that I moved out in my third year and lived in an ensuite.
Tbh living with others is a gamble, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending