The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Best accommodations at Exeter university

Does anyone who goes to Exeter have personal experiences with accommodation there and say what they recommend?

Scroll to see replies

Hey; I went from 2014 to 2018 and was a student ambassador during my time at Exe. Met lots of people in first year, so feel like I have solid experience.

(for reference, east side of campus = closer to town and more accessible. Makes a big diff over the year, trust me)

Holland Hall - the most expensive but by far the best in terms of quality and location on campus. Not a small campus either - so location is important. Has a stereotype of being "posh" or "aloof" - generally people with quite wealthy parents live there... but not always the case. It is catered

Mardon - Next to Holland Hall, great location. Catered. A bit cheaper. Very sociable and lots of parties within; there is a communal/family atmosphere in Mardon. Convenient tennis court opposite. Watch out for the shared rooms, a lot of people don't like sharing a room with another person...

Birks Grange Village - I stayed here in my first year. Plus side is that it is VERY sociable as it has a huge number of flats. Blocks A - Q (!) from what i remember, so hundreds of people. A village in itself, very busy and lively. Mix of catered and self-catered. BUT I would actually advise against it. I did not enjoy it. It is at the very bottom of a steep hill (google "cardiac hill Exeter") which you will have to face multiple times every day. It has a very steep incline, and imo is purely unenjoyable and exhausting. It is also on the West side of campus, meaning that the walk to town is LONG (about 30 minutes...), with no clear bus connections.

Lafrowda - self-catered, closest to the centre of campus (the Forum), right next to the student night club, very easy to access town, in the 'middle' of everything. Very sociable and lively, lots of parties. Important to note distinction between "old" and "new" Lafrowda - the "old" being (ostensibly) very dingy/poor quality, albeit cheaper. "New" Lafrowda blocks are newly built and much nicer. Big communal areas in both. "Old" and "New" Lafrowda are situated next to each other. Great vibe there though, near everything and tennis courts v close

Pennsylvania Court: The Holland Hall of the East side of campus, with slightly worse views and lower prices. Excellent location to get to campus and town. Similar reputation to Holland Hall, but to a much lesser extent

Rowancroft - Same location as Pennsylvania Court. Worse quality. Cheaper. Shared rooms. Sociable. Would lean towards avoiding

Duryard - Nice, but miles from campus and town. On the far north-west side of campus. Avoid imo. Sociable enough and nice flats

Moberley - A renowned reputation of being the absolute pits. Have heard it referred to as an asylum/refugee camp... it is really bad quality and dirty (at least this was the case in 2014). Also far from town and campus (in a similar location to Duryward). Lots cheaper to make up for the quality. Avoid imo

There are lots of other smaller ones which I will not go into detail as it would take too long, but these are the main ones. Smaller ones are generally for quiet people (such as St Germans).

If could go back in time, I would have stayed in Lafrowda, Holland Hall or Pennsylvania Court

Any questions whatsoever, let me know. Exeter is a fantastic place and you'll have lots of fun, without a doubt. Beautiful campus too!
(edited 3 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by anxiouslife
Hey; I went from 2014 to 2018 and was a student ambassador during my time at Exe. Met lots of people in first year, so feel like I have solid experience.

(for reference, east side of campus = closer to town and more accessible. Makes a big diff over the year, trust me)

Holland Hall - the most expensive but by far the best in terms of quality and location on campus. Not a small campus either - so location is important. Has a stereotype of being "posh" or "aloof" - generally people with quite wealthy parents live there... but not always the case. It is catered

Mardon - Next to Holland Hall, great location. Catered. A bit cheaper. Very sociable and lots of parties within; there is a communal/family atmosphere in Mardon. Convenient tennis court opposite. Watch out for the shared rooms, a lot of people don't like sharing a room with another person...

Birks Grange Village - I stayed here in my first year. Plus side is that it is VERY sociable as it has a huge number of flats. Blocks A - Q (!) from what i remember, so hundreds of people. A village in itself, very busy and lively. Mix of catered and self-catered. BUT I would actually advise against it. I did not enjoy it. It is at the very bottom of a steep hill (google "cardiac hill Exeter") which you will have to face multiple times every day. It has a very steep incline, and imo is purely unenjoyable and exhausting. It is also on the West side of campus, meaning that the walk to town is LONG (about 30 minutes...), with no clear bus connections.

Lafrowda - self-catered, closest to the centre of campus (the Forum), right next to the student night club, very easy to access town, in the 'middle' of everything. Very sociable and lively, lots of parties. Important to note distinction between "old" and "new" Lafrowda - the "old" being (ostensibly) very dingy/poor quality, albeit cheaper. "New" Lafrowda blocks are newly built and much nicer. Big communal areas in both. "Old" and "New" Lafrowda are situated next to each other. Great vibe there though, near everything and tennis courts v close

Pennsylvania Court: The Holland Hall of the East side of campus, with slightly worse views and lower prices. Excellent location to get to campus and town. Similar reputation to Holland Hall, but to a much lesser extent

Rowancroft - Same location as Pennsylvania Court. Worse quality. Cheaper. Shared rooms. Sociable. Would lean towards avoiding

Duryard - Nice, but miles from campus and town. On the far north-west side of campus. Avoid imo. Sociable enough and nice flats

Moberley - A renowned reputation of being the absolute pits. Have heard it referred to as an asylum/refugee camp... it is really bad quality and dirty (at least this was the case in 2014). Also far from town and campus (in a similar location to Duryward). Lots cheaper to make up for the quality. Avoid imo

There are lots of other smaller ones which I will not go into detail as it would take too long, but these are the main ones. Smaller ones are generally for quiet people (such as St Germans).

If could go back in time, I would have stayed in Lafrowda, Holland Hall or Pennsylvania Court

Any questions whatsoever, let me know. Exeter is a fantastic place and you'll have lots of fun, without a doubt. Beautiful campus too!

Thank you so much that was so helpful! I'm defo gonna live on the east side of campus because my course is actually on St Luke's but I don't wanna live at Rowancroft and would rather live on main campus. I think I'm defo gonna put Lafrowda down first and I want to put down Rowe and St German's second bc of it's location so if you know anything about these two it would be appreciated. They are actually refurbishing Moberly this year so that will be interesting to see
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much that was so helpful! I'm defo gonna live on the east side of campus because my course is actually on St Luke's but I don't wanna live at Rowancroft and would rather live on main campus. I think I'm defo gonna put Lafrowda down first and I want to put down Rowe and St German's second bc of it's location so if you know anything about these two it would be appreciated. They are actually refurbishing Moberly this year so that will be interesting to see

Hey no worries, I just re-read my post and by Rowancroft, I meant Ransom Pickard!! Sorry..slow morning. Rowancroft is based in town, and near St Luke's. However, it is quite far from campus, and first years that I knew who studied there actually very unhappy, but it was (comparatively) far out of town centre and an absolute hike from campus. This impinges on social life

Rowe + St Germans are quiet blocks, great for people who are not overly into the party scene but still want to meet people and go out every now and again. I knew nobody from Rowe and one person from St. G. Person in St G was very content - nice flatmates (because like-minded), fantastic location on campus, clean accomodation.

Lafrowda was - during my time - generally viewed as the king of first-year accomodation, with all variables (location, cost, sociability, facilities) considered. I regret not picking it. The new blocks were really nice and clean too

Any more Qs, fire them my way
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by anxiouslife

Just to highlight that Moberly has now been re-built (https://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/residences/selfcatered/moberly/) and looks to be of great quality - better than New Lafrowda [Moberly Pics; https://www.flickr.com/photos/185743214@N06/sets/72157713184136032/]. Exe are also introducing East Park next year, which again looks to be good quality. [East Park Pics; https://www.flickr.com/photos/185743214@N06/sets/72157713185281368/]. No word yet on the vibes, though!
I lived in Lafrowda and it was the best decision ever! Would happily answer any questions :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by tsrpol
I lived in Lafrowda and it was the best decision ever! Would happily answer any questions :smile:

Was it new Lafrowda? That's my first choice and was wondering what your experience was like and if it lives to the stereotype :smile:
Was it new Lafrowda? That's my first choice and was wondering what your experience was like and if it lives to the stereotype :smile:

Yes! I did a lot of research before and it definitely lives up to the stereotype if you're a party person. I got on with my flat (most flats that I know did), it's very loud and outgoing.

Arguably it's in the best position on campus as it's so close to everyting and right next to the SU.
Reply 8
What kind of things matter to you?

If you want catered, Mardon Hall is a really good choice. You get the advantage of sharing food with Holland Hall, the location is prime, while there's a really good, family atmosphere there. People have mentioned room shares, which are possible, but if you request to have a single room, you're very likely to get it. Holland is more expensive and almost hotel like; it gets a bad reputation, but wouldn't turn my nose up at the chance of staying there!

If you're self-catered, Lafrowda is obviously a favoured choice. It has a very sociable, party atmosphere, while the location on campus is good. Birks (catered or self-catered) also has a very good feel to it.

Happy to answer any questions!
Reply 9
Original post by Arisapo
What kind of things matter to you?

If you want catered, Mardon Hall is a really good choice. You get the advantage of sharing food with Holland Hall, the location is prime, while there's a really good, family atmosphere there. People have mentioned room shares, which are possible, but if you request to have a single room, you're very likely to get it. Holland is more expensive and almost hotel like; it gets a bad reputation, but wouldn't turn my nose up at the chance of staying there!

If you're self-catered, Lafrowda is obviously a favoured choice. It has a very sociable, party atmosphere, while the location on campus is good. Birks (catered or self-catered) also has a very good feel to it.

Happy to answer any questions!

Thank you so much! I was considering Mardon Hall because it looked so nice on the open day but I didn't want to share a room with anyone. I didn't know it was possible to choose a single room and thought it was done at random so thanks for this. Do you know much about Rowe or St German's?
Thank you so much! I was considering Mardon Hall because it looked so nice on the open day but I didn't want to share a room with anyone. I didn't know it was possible to choose a single room and thought it was done at random so thanks for this. Do you know much about Rowe or St German's?

So I guess you're leaning towards catered?

Mardon is lovely, with a really friendly atmosphere. If you say you'd rather not share on your preferences, they take that into account, and the majority don't share. Of those who I know shared, they either got on really well with their roommate and made a friend for life automatically, or they didn't gel so much, and within a month or so a room request got submitted and they got their own room. So it usually works out but I'd definitely favour Mardon!

I don't know a lot about either Rowe or St German's if I'm honest; I know they're self-catered but don't know anyone who's lived in either!
Original post by Arisapo
So I guess you're leaning towards catered?

Mardon is lovely, with a really friendly atmosphere. If you say you'd rather not share on your preferences, they take that into account, and the majority don't share. Of those who I know shared, they either got on really well with their roommate and made a friend for life automatically, or they didn't gel so much, and within a month or so a room request got submitted and they got their own room. So it usually works out but I'd definitely favour Mardon!

I don't know a lot about either Rowe or St German's if I'm honest; I know they're self-catered but don't know anyone who's lived in either!

Thank you! I am actually leaning more towards self catered but don't mind putting a catered choice down. Do the university actually take into account interests when placing you in accommodation with flatmates?
Thank you! I am actually leaning more towards self catered but don't mind putting a catered choice down. Do the university actually take into account interests when placing you in accommodation with flatmates?

If you’re learning towards self-catered and you want a party, sociable atmosphere, Lafrowda is a great choice. One thing I would be wary of though is because it is the most popular, a lot of students will put it down as their first, followed by other popular ones, then they end up getting somewhere off campus that’s more of a trek. If you put Lafrowda and then some less popular ones, it might put you in good stead.

As for the interests, I don’t really know. I’ve gotten on with everyone I’ve been with, but don’t know if that’s luck or the survey is taken into account. It’s quite generic in the sense that it’s “do you like going out”, “do you like sports” etc, which many students will have easy answers for, so you’re not going to get an exact personality match. I’ve had no issues though.

just in case you didn't know the uni are allocating twin rooms as a single occupancy room this year due to covid x
Hi , for single room , self catered ( including private bathroom kitchen ) what do i suggest and close to main study building and posh crowd Could u guide please and if any photo can u share
Original post by Kinni angel
Hi , for single room , self catered ( including private bathroom kitchen ) what do i suggest and close to main study building and posh crowd Could u guide please and if any photo can u share

I'm pretty sure that Birks and Lafrowda are the only accommodation owned by Exeter that offer their own bathroom and kitchen
Hey, I’m trying to decide whether to choose catered or self catered at Exeter. I’d like to be in the most social accommodation (but would still want the accommodation to be nice and new ish). Would you say that self-catered is generally less or more social than catered? I’ve had loads of recommendations for Pennsylvania court but also really like the look of New lafrowda, East park and Birks. Any suggestions?
Hi Olivia,

I'm Coral, a student ambassador at the university. It is great to hear that you will be coming to join us for your studies! There are social perks to both catered and self catered accommodations. Self catered is social in a sense of your often cooking at the same time as other flatmates and it can turn into quite a social evening routine. Going food shopping was also often very social with many students either going together or car pooling to save the cost (and not having to walk back with all your shopping!). On the other hand, catered accommodations have food halls where you get your meals, along with everyone else. I know many of my friends who were in catered accommodation said they met their initial friend groups through meal times!

Hope this is helpful,
Coral, Exeter University Student Ambassador.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by username5341416
Yes! I did a lot of research before and it definitely lives up to the stereotype if you're a party person. I got on with my flat (most flats that I know did), it's very loud and outgoing.

Arguably it's in the best position on campus as it's so close to everyting and right next to the SU.

Hey,
Lafrowda looks great, nice en-suites and I like the idea of being self catered. Did you feel as though friendships were limited due to designated flats or did everyone mix?
Original post by Oliviacowley12
Hey,
Lafrowda looks great, nice en-suites and I like the idea of being self catered. Did you feel as though friendships were limited due to designated flats or did everyone mix?

Hi, I'm Maisie an Exeter Rep and maybe I can help. I spent my first year in Lafrowda and it is a great accommodation choice. In terms of friendships you definitely get to know your flatmates really well but I wouldn't say it's limiting. Something we did in my block was create a groupchat for the block and we all communicated pretty well on it and managed to get to know each other. Everyone is usually really keen to meet new people and make friends considering you're all in the same position and in a new environment so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect of it. As long as you put the effort in its almost always reciprocated. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending