The Student Room Group

Im nervous on moving to accomodation

Im just getting nervous and im thinking i may even have trouble sleeping their as i find it hard to sleep in new places. Im scared my flatmates may be bad and im just nervous about living by myself in general. Is anyone else feeling like this.
Reply 1
The emotions that you are feeling are very common. Moving to university is a big change in your life, and so it is perfectly normal to feel anxious about this. Take time to get to know your new flat mates - they will be in the same position as you. I'm sure that you'll quickly make friends and settle in. It's also amazing how quickly you gain your independence. Have fun.
It’s completely normal to feel nervous about moving to an unknown place and basically living with strangers. First of all, remember that pretty much everyone is feeling this way too despite how they may come across. Try to make sure you get involved with social activities when you can to be more comfortable around new people and get to know them.

Moving into halls can also be very intimidating. I would try and make it as homely as possible. If you struggle with sleep, you could get a mattress topper as the mattresses may not be the most comfortable. Bring any home comforts with you and decorate your room so it feels like a home and a place you want to come back to after a long day. You can do this without spending loads; posters, photos and some nice bedding can make all the difference.

While it’s quite scary it’s also a very exciting time. I wish you luck and hopefully you will start to feel more comfortable in your accommodation.
Hi Anonymous,

Thank you for sharing. What you're feeling is totally normal, and most (if not all) students will be feeling the same way!

Moving to university can be daunting, and it is a big change, so it's okay to feel nervous about it. Apart from socializing with your new flatmates and getting to know others/joining sports and societies (which definitely helps with these feelings), I would recommend bringing a few sentimental items from home (pictures, decorations, and any other items which may help your room feel more homely). Bringing earplugs and a sleep mask may also help you sleep better, and making sure you have comfortable bedding is a must!

It may take some time to get used to living by yourself and away from your family, but I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and really love the independence.

Hope this helps,
Isabella
Original post by Anonymous
Im just getting nervous and im thinking i may even have trouble sleeping their as i find it hard to sleep in new places. Im scared my flatmates may be bad and im just nervous about living by myself in general. Is anyone else feeling like this.

Hi!

I had similar worries before starting my first year. The first few weeks can be overwhelming as everything is so new, remember that everyone is in the same position and will all want to make friends!

I think earplugs are a must for living in halls to help you get a good night's sleep without the disruptions of other people. As others have said, creating a homely environment where you are comfortable will also help you feel more settled in your new room.

Living by yourself can be a tricky adjustment, however, I found it helped to learn a few simple recipes, how to do laundry etc before I went so I wasn’t thrown in the deep end!

Good luck, I hope this has helped reassure you!
Florence Lancaster University Student Ambassador

Hi there,
You're not alone in feeling this way. I certainly found it hard to adjust to sleeping in my first year uni accommodation but there are things you can do to make it easier for yourself. Definitely try and make your room feel homely, whether that's a cosy blanket or decorations. In terms of your flatmates, you never know - you could really get along with them! Be open when you first move in, set boundaries if that makes you feel more comfortable. Regardless, its certainly possible to get along, even if you end up bonding more with other people.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hello,

I hope you’re well. It is totally normal to feel like this, as it’s such a big change moving out from home. It may help to remember most of your flatmates might be in the same boat as you, with it being their first time moving out & living in a new environment.

If you’re worried, see how things go for the first few weeks and you can propose some ground rules for shared spaces which can help to ensure everyone feels comfortable in the flat. If it happens that you really don’t get on with your flatmates, you can always speak to on site receptionists to see if you could change, however you’ll probably be fine!

Best of luck!
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Anon,

I also find it difficult sleeping in new places. Knowing that I will most probably find it difficult to sleep, helps me feel prepared to not sleep well and to not feel bad about struggling to sleep. I just accept it and I am usually more tired the next day and so then I am able to nod off.

Though, I think a better way to think about it is to plan ahead and to think about how you can feel relaxed and so be more likely to sleep. Maybe that's having a mug of hot chocolate or a herbal tea, maybe it's reading a book before sleeping, listening to calming or relaxing music, some lavender oil on your pillow, or journaling things that may be worrying you or going to sleep at roughly the time you go at home. It's useful to have a routine and to try to be consistent.

Your flatmates might be bad or they might also be fantastic! Try to think more positively : )

Most probably your flatmates will be somewhere in between.

It is strange to be more independent, but it is a great opportunity to learn more about yourself, how to live with other people (who are not family) and how to organise your time and money.

There are lots of changes and it can be a lot to adjust to, but thousands of students will be doing the same across the country.

Try not to worry it will only make you feel stressed!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending