The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Science Extended (Huddersfield)

I go an interview as well as a test.

I'm scared has anyone got any pointers and also has anyone done this? I want to know how the foundation year goes and during the foundation year what can you do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onlychantele

I'm scared has anyone got any pointers and also has anyone done this? I want to know how the foundation year goes and during the foundation year what can you do?

Hi there,

It's perfectly normal to be nervous, so don't worry about that. If it helps, we can put you in contact with an admissions tutor, who will be happy to answer any queries or concerns you have. If so, please send us a private message with your contact details!

There is lots of information on our course page about the science extended degree (just in case you haven't seen it already). You can also read four graduates' letters to Course Leader Dr Rob Allan to find out what being a student on the Science Extended Degree is really like.
: https://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/2017-18/full-time/undergraduate/science-extended-degree-leading-to-a-bsc-hons-degree/

Best of luck!
UoH
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

I have an interview in a few weeks coming up, I know there is a maths test that they gave me a work booklet for to practise with as well as an interview but that all I am aware of
Original post by Olivia_B99
I have an interview in a few weeks coming up, I know there is a maths test that they gave me a work booklet for to practise with as well as an interview but that all I am aware of

Yeah they gave me a handbook aswell, l'll start looking into it soon.

ok, do you know anything about the interview? I have heard nothing might email them so I have some idea the sorts of questions that will be asked so I can be slightly prepared
Original post by Olivia_B99
ok, do you know anything about the interview? I have heard nothing might email them so I have some idea the sorts of questions that will be asked so I can be slightly prepared

No not really, but l have been practising questions they MIGHT asked me..like why their university and why this course and so on.
Reply 6
Two years ago I had applied for the science extended degree (foundation) they basically sent me an email say that they wanted to do an interview and a maths test, but when I got there I was in a room with other prospective student and they were doing a presentation on it then give us the maths test to do and a piece of paper that had questions you had to fill in about why you want to do this degree etc... hope that helps!
Hello, if anyone would like to be added to a SED groupchat, please reply to this message with a 'Yes' and I will private message you myself. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, if anyone would like to be added to a SED groupchat, please reply to this message with a 'Yes' and I will private message you myself. :smile:

yeahh
Reply 9

Hi. I have my interview next week I have to complete a written assesment a maths one. I got given a handbook today. I am really nervous for it! I’m not sure what the test is gonna be like the difficulty of the test and the questions? Could anyone please let me know if it’s like basic gcse or a level? Thank you!’
Reply 10
Original post by oj4546
yeahh

Yes please! I have some questions I need to ask before my interview next week!!
Original post by 18stariq
Hi. I have my interview next week I have to complete a written assesment a maths one. I got given a handbook today. I am really nervous for it! I’m not sure what the test is gonna be like the difficulty of the test and the questions? Could anyone please let me know if it’s like basic gcse or a level? Thank you!’

Hello,

I haven't done the test but I do know that it only requires gcse maths knowledge so it should be easy. Although you may want to brush up some basic maths topics should you feel the need to. I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
Reply 12
Hello,

I haven't done the test but I do know that it only requires gcse maths knowledge so it should be easy. Although you may want to brush up some basic maths topics should you feel the need to. I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

Hi thank you so much for your fast reply! I’m just really worried about this test and the difficult of the questions and the assessment itself! Also did you have an interview ? if so what kinda questions are asked just so I have a rough idea!
Hi thank you so much for your fast reply! I’m just really worried about this test and the difficult of the questions and the assessment itself! Also did you have an interview ? if so what kinda questions are asked just so I have a rough idea!

It would be a general interview like any other interview. I would prepare the same way you may have prepared for an optometry interview at other universities. You may want to look up the general stuff they cover such as your motives to study this course, why are you a suitable candidate etc

Sorry I couldn't guide much as I have taken neither the maths test or interview.
Reply 14
It would be a general interview like any other interview. I would prepare the same way you may have prepared for an optometry interview at other universities. You may want to look up the general stuff they cover such as your motives to study this course, why are you a suitable candidate etc

Sorry I couldn't guide much as I have taken neither the maths test or interview.

No problem thank you so much for your fast reply and your help. Are you currently studying the course now If So how you finding it. Is the course quite hard in your opinion?
No problem thank you so much for your fast reply and your help. Are you currently studying the course now If So how you finding it. Is the course quite hard in your opinion?

Hello, the course is overall difficult in my opinion for those trying to achieve 70%+ however, with consistent and efficient revision, its achievable. You must work hard from day 1.
May I ask what course you plan on doing next year?
Reply 16
Hello, the course is overall difficult in my opinion for those trying to achieve 70%+ however, with consistent and efficient revision, its achievable. You must work hard from day 1.
May I ask what course you plan on doing next year?

Hi. Its understandable that’s it’s hard but with revision and hard work it’s always possible. I’m wanting to progress onto doing pharmacy after the foundation year.
Reply 17
I’ve just completed this course this year and was able to progress into Optom. In my opinion some courses were intense but as long as u keep on track with your work and go through the qs they give u consistently you’ll be fine, especially with Pharmacy cos it’s less competitive than optom so if u achieve an overall of like 68% u can still progress into pharmacy without being on a waiting list.
Hi. Its understandable that’s it’s hard but with revision and hard work it’s always possible. I’m wanting to progress onto doing pharmacy after the foundation year.
Original post by Asha2003
I’ve just completed this course this year and was able to progress into Optom. In my opinion some courses were intense but as long as u keep on track with your work and go through the qs they give u consistently you’ll be fine, especially with Pharmacy cos it’s less competitive than optom so if u achieve an overall of like 68% u can still progress into pharmacy without being on a waiting list.

hi can u apply for the SED thru clearing if u dont meet the offer for optom
Reply 19
Original post by Asha2003

Congratulations good luck! I also heard that only 10% of people overall manage to progress on each year to either pharmacy or optometry. Is that true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending