The Student Room Group

Dilemma between Medicinal Chem and Chem with Management

I'm planning to apply for the sept 2024 intake to study in the UK. I'm currently studying for my A levels (Bio chem econs maths) but I'm having a dilemma choosing between these 2 courses. If anyone is currently studying any of these courses (preferably at UCL, Imperial, Manchester) pls provide some review and aspects of these courses. Thank uu
Original post by kyue
I'm planning to apply for the sept 2024 intake to study in the UK. I'm currently studying for my A levels (Bio chem econs maths) but I'm having a dilemma choosing between these 2 courses. If anyone is currently studying any of these courses (preferably at UCL, Imperial, Manchester) pls provide some review and aspects of these courses. Thank uu

Hey @kyue, how are you? :smile:

I hope your A Level studies are going good!

I'd definitely recommend booking onto some open days to gain a better understanding of each campus, the facilities on offer, the general vibe there so you can get a feel for what it'd be like to be a student. Then you'd be able to chat to current students about their experiences whilst you're there, and also speak to the academics who'd be teaching you.

To get more info about the courses you can check out the uni website and do a pro's and con's list for each of the uni's modules, course descriptions, any reviews from current or past students etc. You could even take a look at the uni's social media channels for student blogs, profiles and vlogs for a way to get an insight into the course or general student life.

A lot of uni's have students on unibuddy, so you could possibly chat to current students directly that way too :smile:

I hope you receive some advice from students at these current uni's, and I wish you the best of luck with your decision! :smile:

Becky
Reply 2
If you apply to Bath for one of them ('with Management' and 'with Drug Discovery'), you can switch to the other pathway later - either before you start the course or during the first year. All Chem degrees at Bath share a common first year of teaching, and its exactly the same entry requirements for all Chem degrees there. It may also be the same situation at other Unis with similar degree structures.
Original post by kyue

Hi @kyue,

I'm a chemistry student at Lancaster University so, whilst I don't have experience of your desired unis, I can offer some advice based on what I went through whilst applying to uni.

When making your decision, consider the following steps:

Research Universities: Look into the specific programs at UCL, Imperial College London, and the University of Manchester. Read course descriptions, module details, and any student testimonials or reviews you can find on university websites.
Program Structure: Compare the course structures of both programs. Which one aligns better with your interests and career goals? Are there specific modules or areas of study that excite you?
Long-Term Goals: Think about where you see yourself in the future. Do you have a strong passion for chemistry and drug development? Or do you see yourself combining your scientific knowledge with business and management skills?
Skills and Interests: Consider which set of skills and subject areas resonate with you more. Do you enjoy laboratory work and scientific research, or are you also intrigued by the idea of managing projects and teams?
Talk to Students: If possible, reach out to current students or alumni of these programs through social media or university forums. Their insights can provide valuable perspectives on the program's strengths and weaknesses.
Career Prospects: Research the potential career paths for both fields. Which one aligns more closely with the types of roles you envision for yourself after graduation?

I hope some of this helps a bit.
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
If you apply to Bath for one of them ('with Management' and 'with Drug Discovery'), you can switch to the other pathway later - either before you start the course or during the first year. All Chem degrees at Bath share a common first year of teaching, and its exactly the same entry requirements for all Chem degrees there. It may also be the same situation at other Unis with similar degree structures.

First year does differ between the chemistry courses as each course does different optional modules at bath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending