The Student Room Group

Unsure what to choose for 4th A-level

I’m looking to take biology, chemistry and maths and am fairly certain about those three but I can’t choose what to do for the fourth. I’m currently debating between further maths, philosophy, or psychology. I’m interested in going into medicine and am wondering which one of these would be most beneficial for that or if there is a different A-level that anyone recommends. Thanks x.
Reply 1
Original post by mkr_08
I’m looking to take biology, chemistry and maths and am fairly certain about those three but I can’t choose what to do for the fourth. I’m currently debating between further maths, philosophy, or psychology. I’m interested in going into medicine and am wondering which one of these would be most beneficial for that or if there is a different A-level that anyone recommends. Thanks x.

Why 4? It's not really necessary to do more than 3 A levels, and you'd just be increasing your workload as well as decreasing the amount of time you have available!
Original post by mkr_08

For medicine, biology and chemistry are the main options that you should have. Further maths is very unnecessary, even though it's nice to have. As you already have maths, you're pretty much good.
Psychology goes very well with biology if you must, but my preference is to have physics as it goes well with maths and it's a STEM subject,

Strictly speaking, you can pick any subject you wish for your third and fourth options, as you might well already know. You would really only need 3 A Levels, so it's really down to preference after biology and chemistry.
Given you've already got the basics down for medicine I would just go for something that you would enjoy and that you would be good at. It's a fourth a level so its a heavier workload so make it something that wont make you suicidal :redface:
Original post by mkr_08

only choose further maths if ur amazing at it. but ik alot of people who do psychology and wanna do medicine but it requires lots of writing. the beneficial a levels are the ones u already are choosing and unis wont consider ur 4th a level only require 3 so it will be a waste of time
Original post by mkr_08

Look for a subject that can give you an easy A*. Go for Psychology to expand your options.
Reply 6
Original post by mkr_08

heyyy i've jus finished year 12 and i take biology chemistry maths and rs which is basically philosophy and let me tell you it is honestly SO FUN
don't get me wrong it is stressful ofc but i love having a break from stem with rs, and it's really changed my view on life and has helped me learn about ethics which i can apply to a medical field, so i'd 100% recommend philosophy :smile: (philosophy will have some ethical undertones)
my friends love psychology too, but there's a bit of psychology in philosophy
further maths i wouldn't take unless you want to do a maths degree or something very maths heavy; i've heard it's very time consuming, but also fun so take my advice as you will
you also don't have to take 4 a-levels!!! i'd say give it a go, and the moment it becomes unbearable drop one whether its maths or philosophy unis dont care
i've decided to continue with 4 because i think i've managed it pretty well this year and it is possible so don't be discouraged by what you've heard from other people
hope this helps x
Reply 7
Original post by mkr_08

Hi, as lots of others have said 4 isnt necessary for Medicine.

Only do 4 of you believe (and your teachers agree) that 4 wont bring down your chances of getting AAA or above.

Not all unis specify the A level subjects for med. Of those that do, chem is popular, so is biology, and chem and biology are also a common pairing.

Not many at all actively require Chem, Bio and Maths. I would check but I think its possibly only Ox/Cambs that do.

I think most say that your 3rd choice should be an academic subject.

If you are very keen to do 4 do the one that you enjoy and think you will do best in.

For me, if I had to do 4 I would do Psychology, chem, bio and Maths. Several med schools count psychology as a science so should you have a disaster with chem or bio all is not lost. A few count maths in the same way.

Personally with my limited maths ability i would choose, chem, bio and psychology. I would not do a fourth A level. Instead I would do a medicine related EPQ in year 13.

You dont get lower offers for 4 A levels (because it has to be based on 3 A levels), but you often see lower offers for 3 Alevels and an A at EPQ.

I am in awe of anybody who does maths A level, and astounded at further maths. So my comments are phrased in that context. Plus I have given my thoughts on medicine (non-Oxbridge) If you have other options/subjects that you are thinking about then clearly you will want to keep them as wide open as possible.

Good luck.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195
(edited 9 months ago)
hi,
im doing biology, psychology, sociology and rs (which has philosophy in).
i think psychology is good if you want it to go well with a-level bio and maths. psycho has a bit of bio & maths in:smile:. it is also rlly interesting i love it! and it’s also a science:h:
RS/philosophy is good and is different from your other a-levels and is a nice essay-based subject that teaches you on how to see things in other perspectives and is also interesting. this subject isn’t too difficult either and is good esp if you’re doing 4 a-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest