The Student Room Group

can i do med without bio a level

I currently do maths, chem and econ a level. Do i have a chance of getting an offer from a top uni?
You will have to check the entry requirements for the universities you’re interested in.

Medical schools all require you to do Chemistry A Level (achieving an A/A*). Some universities will require both Chemistry and Biology, some will say Chemistry is required and another science subject, which includes Biology, Maths or Physics (also achieving an A/A*).

There are many resources available online listing the entry requirements for all the medical schools. I’ve linked one below which has the entry requirements for 2023 entry.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf
It depends on ur uni tbh. But I know this girl who was able to get into medicine for queen Mary’s london despite not having biology
Reply 3
Original post by madzzzzina
You will have to check the entry requirements for the universities you’re interested in.

Medical schools all require you to do Chemistry A Level (achieving an A/A*). Some universities will require both Chemistry and Biology, some will say Chemistry is required and another science subject, which includes Biology, Maths or Physics (also achieving an A/A*).

There are many resources available online listing the entry requirements for all the medical schools. I’ve linked one below which has the entry requirements for 2023 entry.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf

thank you for your response. I'm going to put forward a case to study bio a level and drop maths as it gives me better options.
Reply 4
Original post by Corndog6252
It depends on ur uni tbh. But I know this girl who was able to get into medicine for queen Mary’s london despite not having biology

i really want to apply to med in cambridge. im considering dropping maths to get bio to do bio, chem, econ or may have to stick w maths, bio,chem.
Which options gives me better chances for cambridge? thanks
To be honest both options give you a opportunity to apply to Cambridge. It genuinely depends on you. I think you should pick a subject which you are confident in getting the grade. I would say to look at all the colleges as some of them require chemistry and 2 science/maths subject e.g Pembroke / Christ college. But most of the colleges are fine with chemistry and 1 other science or maths.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/medicine_subject_requirements.pdf
^^requirements of the different colleges
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by happygirl02
thank you for your response. I'm going to put forward a case to study bio a level and drop maths as it gives me better options.

No worries!

i really want to apply to med in cambridge. im considering dropping maths to get bio to do bio, chem, econ or may have to stick w maths, bio,chem.
Which options gives me better chances for cambridge? thanks

Would you consider doing all 4 A Levels, so Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics? I'm not quite sure what year you're in, but if you were to do this, you could see what the workload is like and which of the subjects you struggle with. You could then ask your sixth form/college if you could drop one of them if it's too much for you after trialling it for a few weeks.

If you check the document I linked yesterday and scroll down to Cambridge's requirements, it says the success rate for students applying with 3 or more Science A Levels is higher than for those without. If you really want to go to Cambridge, I would advise you swap Economics with Maths, as Maths is considered a Science subject. This would be the safest option.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
Reply 7
Original post by Corndog6252
To be honest both options give you a opportunity to apply to Cambridge. It genuinely depends on you. I think you should pick a subject which you are confident in getting the grade. I would say to look at all the colleges as some of them require chemistry and 2 science/maths subject e.g Pembroke / Christ college. But most of the colleges are fine with chemistry and 1 other science or maths.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/medicine_subject_requirements.pdf
^^requirements of the different colleges

Hi, thanks for your response.
Yesterday I went to take a look at the content that I would have to cover if I decided on taking biology and chemistry a level from the oxford textbook. Even though I'm willing to work hard, I think it's going to be difficult for me to manage both before my exams in may, so i may just take chem. That would leave me with maths, chem and econ.

Not the best, as I went from 4 a levels maths, further maths, computer science and econ to three, but I've realised I really wanna do medicine and with three subjects I have higher chances of getting A*s than risking bio with it. That leaves me to target QMUL and Cambridge as I have a preference of staying close to my family during uni.
Reply 8
Original post by madzzzzina
No worries!

Would you consider doing all 4 A Levels, so Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics? I'm not quite sure what year you're in, but if you were to do this, you could see what the workload is like and which of the subjects you struggle with. You could then ask your sixth form/college if you could drop one of them if it's too much for you after trialling it for a few weeks.

If you check the document I linked yesterday and scroll down to Cambridge's requirements, it says the success rate for students applying with 3 or more Science A Levels is higher than for those without. If you really want to go to Cambridge, I would advise you swap Economics with Maths, as Maths is considered a Science subject. This would be the safest option.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Hi, thank you so much for your advice.

My school usually makes us do 4 a levels and drop one only if we need to. I'm going from maths, further maths, computer science and econ
to maths, chem and econ, only because I browsed through the a level chem and bio textbooks yesterday and think it's going to be very risky for me to try and cover the whole 2 new a levels (chem and bio) before May exams and get A*s.

If I took just chem, I will definitely keep my maths, along with econ. I'm just really nervous about this tho since I wanted to go to a london uni or cambridge since it's close to home. The fact that I probably won't take bio means Imperial, UCL, Kings, Leeds are already out due to requirements for bio.

Chances of Cambridge are low too since I'm taking 3 a levels and most successful applicants take 4 as I did. I also don't have biology is another issue as even tho some colleges say they are fine with chem and one science/maths, it's all comparative in that application process and so many would have bio too (3 sciences whereas I have only 2).

I'm also nervous because people have told me Cambridge interviews are very scientific eg they ask you the function of the kidney and mark your answers on depth, fast thinking and retainment of A-level knowledge. I won't be in a very good position if they ask me bio qs.

I just hope I get into Cambridge tho, I've always wanted to study there. QMUL is good too, as it is close by to me and a good uni. Everywhere is extremely competitive and even tho I meet some requirements w my subjects, it's comparative, so I need extra to really stand out.
Hi, thank you so much for your advice.

My school usually makes us do 4 a levels and drop one only if we need to. I'm going from maths, further maths, computer science and econ
to maths, chem and econ, only because I browsed through the a level chem and bio textbooks yesterday and think it's going to be very risky for me to try and cover the whole 2 new a levels (chem and bio) before May exams and get A*s.

If I took just chem, I will definitely keep my maths, along with econ. I'm just really nervous about this tho since I wanted to go to a london uni or cambridge since it's close to home. The fact that I probably won't take bio means Imperial, UCL, Kings, Leeds are already out due to requirements for bio.

Chances of Cambridge are low too since I'm taking 3 a levels and most successful applicants take 4 as I did. I also don't have biology is another issue as even tho some colleges say they are fine with chem and one science/maths, it's all comparative in that application process and so many would have bio too (3 sciences whereas I have only 2).

I'm also nervous because people have told me Cambridge interviews are very scientific eg they ask you the function of the kidney and mark your answers on depth, fast thinking and retainment of A-level knowledge. I won't be in a very good position if they ask me bio qs.

I just hope I get into Cambridge tho, I've always wanted to study there. QMUL is good too, as it is close by to me and a good uni. Everywhere is extremely competitive and even tho I meet some requirements w my subjects, it's comparative, so I need extra to really stand out.

Your idea of picking up Chemistry and keeping Maths is great. I agree that picking up BOTH Chemistry and Biology this year would be very difficult just because of how content-heavy both these subjects are hence it is studied over 2 years. You’d rather get 3 really good grades than 4 bad grades. And as Chemistry is required by all medical schools and Biology by some, you’re able to apply to those medical schools that don’t require Biology and aren’t comparative.

It would be good to apply to Cambridge and QMUL as your first and second choices if they’re the unis you really want to go to. You obviously can’t leave your 2 other choices blank as it would be very risky, so look at the universities that aren’t comparative between the 2 and 3/4 Science A Levels. And then also think about your 5th choice if the others don’t work out (God-forbid).

In regards to the questions at interviews at Cambridge, I honestly can’t advise you anything. Perhaps some wider reading here and there could help, but other than that, if it really is A Level based, you would need Biology.

It would be best to discuss this with your sixth form/college teachers as they are more experienced and have probably had cases of students like yours previously. You should also get in touch with the admissions team at Cambridge and see what they have to say.

I honestly wish you the best with your application and your studies!

Quick Reply

Latest